Pages

11 May 2013

Review of MaryLu Tyndall's "Forsaken Dreams" and Upcoming Week Notification


Forsaken Dreams

Barbour, 2013

Forsaken Dreams is a unique and engaging story. Characterization is exceptional. Lots of characters and subplots to engage the reader. Love that!

Who’d have ever thought that Southerners headed to Brazil after the Civil War? Great premise for a story, based on facts. Although much of the story takes place aboard ship, it doesn't feel like one is adrift in the story.

Eliza (love that name as it was my grandmother's!) was a southerner who married a Yankee general when she was very young. Blake is an injured Confederate colonel whose unforgiveness threatens to destroy him, his faith, and his chance for love. The story is full of characters, many of whom get a point of view in the story telling, including an alcoholic Southern belle who is a hoot.  All the characters seem to have secrets!

I read this book in paperback and the cover is so GORGEOUS that I recommend the paperback rather than Kindle version! The print was good, too. Sometimes publishers don’t have nice clear dark ink print on paperbacks or use paper that glares and that makes it harder for some people, like me, to read a paperback easily.

This book will be on my list for Recommended Spring/Summer Reads post next week!

This book may be purchased through Amazon, CBD, and your local bookstores. Please support this wonderful author by purchasing and reviewing her books. 

Next week:  The OWG reviewers will be posting our recommended reads.  On MONDAY we will be having an ANNIVERSARY PARTY for DIANA!!! It is her TWO YEAR anniversary on OWG and we will party down!

Giveaway: Copy of MaryLu’s Forsaken Dreams to someone who has read and reviewed (such as on Amazon) at least one of her previous books (put RR on your comment), Likes her GoodReads page (put GR) on there, and has liked her Author Facebook page (FB).  I am hoping for someone who meets ALL of those criteria but put up what you have done just in case we don’t.  

30 comments:

  1. CARRIE what a great review of MaryLu's amazing story. This book taught me a history lesson. I have lived in SC all my life and had never heard about the thousands of people going to live in Brazil. Excellent job MaryLu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CARRIE, love your review of this awesome book. I never knew that southerners migrated to Brazil either. Can't wait for the next book in the series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Carrie, for this incredible review!! (Waving at Teresa and Diana!) It's hard to believe that I just turned in book 3 in the series.. I'm already feeling sad at missing these characters I've come to love. :-)
    Have a great mother's day, Ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waving back, MARYLU! I am missing these characters already as well, so please tell the publishers to hurry on up with the second one! ;) Waiting...not so patiently, lol. We ALL love you here at OWG, MaryLu!

      Delete
    2. And a Happy Mother's Day to you as well!

      Delete
    3. Wow! Now I am wondering how close these will each release! URW ML!!! Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Awesome review! I totally agree - the cover alone is worth having the paperback in your hands - it is stunningly beautiful! This book is already on my bookshelves and I loved every minute of it. I appreciate that MaryLu reminds us that the villains in this world are not always physical. Deep and intriguing!
    I meet all of your criteria but I already have her wonderful book - so please don't include me!
    Susan P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for coming by and sharing your love of MaryLu's book, SUSAN! I know you're chomping at the bit for the next one, as am I!

      Delete
    2. OH you bet, I want more of those characters! I can't wait. :) I had never heard about the southerners moving to Brazil either, before this book. That was a fun lesson that I never knew from school!

      Delete
    3. Hi Susan!! So nice to see you here! In fact, I believe many of the villains in this world are not of this world.... wait until you read the rest of the series!
      Happy Mother's Day!

      Delete
    4. SUSAN, I can enter you for one of ML's other books! I still have several of hers I want to read! Blessings!

      Delete
    5. MaryLu, I believe that is very true. HOw easy it is to forget, though. I can't wait for the next two books - it must be weird for you to know them both and not be able to give anything away (much less talk about the whole story) before they are out!!
      Carrie, don't worry about me - I already have the love for ML's books (and own quite a few) - I would love for someone else here to discover her! :)

      Delete
  5. Awesome book!!!! Cannot say that enough!! MaryLu has my mind trapped in book one...it needs to get out and deep into book two! Waiting....not so patiently, but loyally. Hugs to you, my Cap'n!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, DEBBIE! My mind needs to get into Book Two ASAP! lol The cover is just so gorgeous and enticing!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Chappy and Diana! It's hard for me too since Book 2 is all done and edited.. yet doesn't release until Nov!! What gives? LOL Anyway.. I appreciate your kind comments. :-)

      Delete
    3. DEBBIE, I feel that way too--am real for book two in this series but will have to wait! Congrats on your recent release with ML--your devotional!!! Blessings!

      Delete
    4. Thanks Carrie! I pray it blesses a lot of people!

      Delete
  6. RR - The Red Siren (CBD)
    GR
    FB

    ABreading4fun [at] gmail[dot] com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, APPLEBLOSSOM! You were very thorough and did everything CARRIE wanted on this giveaway, so lots of kudos to you, gf!

      Delete
    2. Hi Apple Blossom!! Thanks for coming by. :-) Hugs..

      Delete
    3. Thanks APPLEBLOSSOM! You are on it!!! Blessings!

      Delete
  7. I love this book so much I bought it today. There was one sitting alone on the shelf so I HAD to bring it home with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah.. that's so sweet of you, Teresa! I'm honored. Hugs! :-)

      Delete
  8. Always an interesting review CARRIE!! And I have to say, Forsaken Dreams is one of THE BEST BOOKS EVER!!! November really is too far away MARYLU, lol! Love and blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love and blessings to you, Noela!! And thank you for the kind words!! I think you all will love Elusive Hope. Hayden and Magnolia make quite the match. ;-)

      Delete
  9. This book sounds so good--I would LOVE to win it! I did not know about the brazil part of our history either. It is so much fun learning new things about our own history, while enjoying a great fiction book!

    Vicki. GR. FB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, this is such a cool and complicated plot with this rich spiritual multi-layer thread! Hope u get to read it soon!

      Delete
  10. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE MARYLU TYNDALL, HER BOOKS, AND THIS REVIEW!!!

    Another stellar job, Carrie, and this is at the top of my list, not only as my fave of all ML's books, but one of my top faves EVER in the CBA!! Not many people can carry off a cast this large in such a compelling and deep way, which just goes to show how talented this author is.

    Don't enter me because I am blessed to own this book and somebody else needs to be blessed with this amazing reading opportunity. :)

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Julie, it takes someone with tremendous talent to pull off this book--and ML has it! Thanks for coming by!!!

      Delete
  11. We have MaryLu's books in the church library. I would love to win this one to add to our collection.
    Thanks!
    Janet E.
    von1janet(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics