Pages

19 August 2019

On "Coming Home"



Revolving door image from Flickr
With three big trips since April, I was starting to feel like my front door was a revolving door! Mind you, I had a wonderful time on my travels to Europe on the dream of a lifetime Rhine River Cruise, our family "Bucket List" trip to Yellowstone where I finally got to see Old Faithful, and then a trip to Michigan. This last trip my time was spent mostly on Mackinac Island rather than in Mackinaw City, where I've spent the past several summers. I got some great research in on my next two books! But I wasn't in one place and ended up with revolving door syndrome on the last trip going from place to place to place. Great to see old friends and family members even if for shorter time this visit.
Beautiful Lake Michigan
In preparing for the coming home, I visited Fort Michilimackinac, the setting of my latest story  Mercy in a Red Cloak. The image above is right inside the fort. And for my readers I bet you'll recognize the image below as a similar door that frames Mercy on my cover!
Gate out of Fort Mackinac

Unfortunately, before I left Michigan, I had to visit the hospital in St. Ignace, for an Urgent Care exam due to extreme heel pain. As I'd stepped into a carriage on Mackinac Island, it felt as though something tore apart in the bottom of my left heel. I can tell you it hurt like crazy. I was told I hadn't broken anything and fortunately for me I had scheduled a visit with my orthopedic doctor for when I came home.
Pelston Airport
After having a wonderful visit with a dear friend from my hometown, I left the next morning from a small nearby airport. The decor there is so quaint--I love it. See a picture above. I got there early as I knew I'd need extra time walking with my very painful foot. I sure was looking forward to getting home and getting some help! Although I was reassured nothing was broken, I knew that something pretty bad had happened in my heel.


Coming home meant I also got to get back to my home church, Northside Christian Church. My fantastic orthopedic doctor (who had a character named after hime--Dr. Michael Potter--in my novella "Shenandoah Hearts" in the Backcountry Brides collection) quickly diagnosed a tear in my fascia and put me back in a boot. Part of my overcoming journey has been getting out of a boot as I spent almost five years in one with my Achilles tendon problems. Big sigh. But the boot (and my knee roller) will hopefully resolve my issue. We also did a PRP procedure to help that troublesome Achilles (painful but in the past it has been very much worth it.)
My guys were here, my hydrangeas were blooming, and I've gotten to see a few dear friends since I've been home. And I've been getting to spend time with my daughter who will soon be a beautiful bride! Now to try to get myself and my son, who has been suffering with ongoing pain issues, both in a little better shape before school starts. And we know who we can look to, because with God, we can overcome.

Question: As you are waiting on God to help you overcome something, what has helped you most?

50 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about you being back in a boot. Hopefully it will be for a short time. Avid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully only another week with the boot and then a few weeks until my foot heals. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that you have to be in the boot. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

    Praying and trying not to focus on my situation help (a bit), but it's still a work in progress.

    Avid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just reminders in His Word, I can do all things through Christ who gives me Strength! Also,that Nothing is Impossible!!! Avid reader

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome home from your travels. Pray you are improving in the boot. I hate being in one. Pals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy, I pray you are out of your boot soon, too!

      Delete
  7. Sorry to read about your foot, but that knee scooter is awesome. I had one so i know all about the boot and the rider, i had fun with mine. Trying to making something good out of something bad. Hope you heal fast.
    I have never read any of these books, but I would love to.
    AVID

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda! Yes, the scooter scares out dog, though! You are my WINNER on this post! Congrats!

      Delete
  8. When I pray about something and it doesn’t happen all at once I try to remember to wait upon the Lord. The thing that helps me most is praying and reading my Bible. I’m a PA’L’s Member

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My church recently had preaching on waiting on the Lord, Brenda! Hugs!

      Delete
  9. Carrie, I have been praying for you. I hope your foot heals quickly. In addition to prayer, music helps me to get my focus back on God.
    Pals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We Carries have to stick together! Thanks so much. I love music, too, and am lifted up by listening! Hugs!

      Delete
  10. My, you have been one busy lady! Your trips sound fantastic! I hope you and Clark feel some relief soon. Avid & Pals.
    perrianne (DOT)askew (at] me (DOT)com
    Perrianne Askew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,lots of blessings this year, Perrianne! Busy busy and now a wedding coming up. Blessings!

      Delete
  11. I loved your article. Except hurting your foot and feeling like a revolving door, I must say it has to be awesome to travel to so many places. I could just imagine being able to travel. I love history, and that would allow a lot of opportunities to explore.
    I am waiting for God! I couldn’t live a day without him. My faith is what I hold on to. Without faith, there is no hope.
    Thank you for your willingness to spread about God through your writing.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello sweet Kathy, I pray God will give you the travel He has planned for you. Those were two bucket list trips this year and I can't believe they really happened! Hugs and love!

      Delete
  12. Loved your Mercy in a Red Cloak! I envy you getting to go to Mackinac and surroundings. Wish I could be your PAL and go with you someday! Hope you heal quickly!
    paulams49ATsbcglobalDOTnet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paula! You'll have to come up north when I am up there, too, and we can run around Mackinac Island! Blessings!

      Delete
  13. Praying that you will heal quickly with a minimum of discomfort. Challenges will always be our companions. Our job is to trust the One who sustains us and guides us through them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Janet, about challenges being our companions. What would we do without God?

      Delete
  14. Praying for less pain and healing for both you and Clark! So grateful for the lovely time you could have on Mackinaw. Enjoy getting ready for the wedding:) PALS and I see you on AVID as well
    bettimace at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betti! I think you're getting ready for a move. I pray that goes well!

      Delete
  15. Continued prayers for you. Yes, I’m waiting on God and sometimes it’s really difficult, but He is always there holding me. Thank you for sharing. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I am waiting on God to overcome some problem I try to start my days out a little slower by spending more time in my morning devotions and Bible study. I spend more time in meditating on His word. I try to eliminate small stressors in my life that might be adding to unnecessary anxiety. I work on my OCC shoeboxes to take my mind off myself and my problems and think about the children and pray for those who have already received shoeboxes and for those who will receive them in the coming year. Blessings, Carrie, and prayers. (PALS)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are great spiritual disciplines, Kay! Many blessings!

      Delete
  17. Welcome home. Praying for you and your sweet son to get better and have a healthy year!
    🙏🏻💕

    ReplyDelete
  18. Carrie, I'm covering you and your family with prayer! (((((HUGS))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caryl! You're an awesome Prayer Warrior! Hugs!

      Delete
  19. Praying for all you on going problems. Hope you have lots of reasearch for your two new books. I have enjoyed the stories I have read and reviewed by you. This new book sounds great..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rory! So glad I can finally get Blogger to work -- over on an older PC we have. Hugs!

      Delete
  20. I love the photos you share from your trips. I'm sorry you hurt your foot on this latest trip to Michigan. Looking forward to new stories from you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend! I pray you are doing better, too, Andrea! Hugs!

      Delete
  21. So sorry about your pain, Carrie. Praying you and your son feel better soon. What great trips you took!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been known to do what Corrie ten Boom did and thank God for the fleas.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Foot problems are the worst! Hope it heals quickly and you get back on both feet pain free! Thanks for the give away! Avid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With other joint issues you can keep moving but with feet or knees it is harder. Very grateful I have the boot to use! Blessings!

      Delete
  24. I've been praying for you and I hope you are doing better. I pray, while I wait to see how God will handle the things that come up for us. Not only do I pray for our situation, I also pray for others. Because I know that I'm not the only one who goes through things. I'm almost at the end of my physical therapy visits and God has opened up my eyes to things. I've gotten some answers to what has been going on and how I need to work through a lot of the pain. In the mean time though, I keep praying for those who have things going on.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hmm, thought I wrote a note yesterday but I don't see it. I was on my phone so maybe it just never went thru. Saying my prayers for you, hoping your foot heals quickly. I'm glad you were able to enjoy Michigan again this summer. Looking forward to your new books when they release...keep writing! Your fans await.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I enjoy reading about your adventures and seeing photographs of the beautiful places you visit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Prayers continue for you Carrie and your family. Hope your foot is much improved now. Enjoyed reading about your travels and the pictures. One day I would like to visit Mackinac Island.
    Blessings dear friend and PAL.
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics