Pages

24 May 2018

Audiobook Review of The Lacemaker by Laura Frantz


I listened to The Lacemaker by Laura Frantz, Narrated by Aimee Lilly, via an Audible.com download. I almost didn't bother listening after hearing the atrocious accents, in particular the hero's. I'm a big audiobook fan. And I'd just had cataract surgery so I was desperate to listen as reading wasn't possible. What I did was cringe during the bad accents but try to focus on the story. Living in the area where the story was set (and where a number of my own books are set) and comparing with my own experiences was interesting. There were a few errors in what blooms when, here in Virginia, with coastal Virginia having early spring blooms so that in June far less can withstand the heat.

This book was an ECPA bestseller in paperback. I'd recommend you purchase it in that format rather than listening to the audiobook. If reading with your eyes isn't an option, be prepared to force yourself to overlook the truly awful accents used by the narrator. I was glad to have the book to listen to during my recovery. I think the reader would be far less distracted from the story and characters if reading via paperback, ebook, or hardcover large print copy -- all of which are available.

Giveaway: This week we're giving away a copy of The Backcountry Brides, which includes many other colonial-set stories. Leave a comment on the previous post to enter. Leave a comment here for an extra entry!

9 comments:

  1. I love visiting here and I love the books you review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pity about the accents. Love the gown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is difficult when a book is narrated with poor accents or mispronunciations! It is hard to hear what the author intended when gritting our teeth when listening to a poorly narrated book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear their were accent issues with the audio of this great book. Thank you for sharing. marilynridgway75[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the heads up about the accents, Carrie. I'll read it on my Kindle.

    *previous comment disappeared :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie, too bad the audio-book wasn't enjoyable for you. I read the book in paperback recently and enjoyed it. Hope you're recovering well after your surgeries.
    Blessings, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im not an expert on accents so that may not be a problem for me. Im looking forward to reading the book, likely on my kindle. Thanks for the heads up! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is such a shame, when the reading is off, for whatever reason. I will probably read the paperback, although I do use my Kindle part of the time. I have enjoyed many audio books in the past. Right now I'm listening to one by Joel C. Rosenberg. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful review, Carrie! I just read The Lacemaker and LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics