Pages

18 May 2017

Audiobook Review of The Ebb Tide by Beverly Lewis


The Ebb Tide
By Beverly Lewis
(Recorded Books, 2017)

I listened to this novel via an Audible.com download. I'd not read a Beverly Lewis book in a while. I simply adored "Just Like Mama" a children's book I purchased years ago, about Amish life and a little girl trying too hard to be just like her very capable and beautiful mother.  So I was looking forward to this novel and I wasn't disappointed.

Like Enjoying a Favorite Ice Cream Sundae!

My review:
This is a contemporary Amish story but primarily set in Cape May, New Jersey, which becomes a character in the story. It sounds like a gorgeous place and Ms. Lewis's descriptions made me want to visit there! Sallie Riehl is living in her Amish community and has never found a love interest among those living there. A wealthy family, who has known Sallie through her job waitressing, asks if Sallie can come be a nanny to their little girl. But Sallie has finally, after saving her money for years, saved up enough to go to Australia. She hasn't yet committed to the Amish church and once she does so, Sallie won't be able to make such journeys.

SPOILER alert: But then something happens that tests Sallie's faith. She's strong and the result is she and her family accept God's pushing her in the direction of the New Jersey shore job, before she joins the Lancaster community Amish church. She's begun to consider courting with Perry Zook, a nice young man.

Sallie enjoys all the fun activities there are to do in Cape May.  She meets a marine biology student, Kevin Kreider, who expresses a lot of interest. They become friends. The romance is very slow in developing. This young man is Mennonite, so Sallie realizes they can never be together if she keeps her promise to her parents.

A very nice job with the narration. The story unfolds slowly and is a very good leisurely listen. You can take your time and come back to it and not forget where the story had left off, which I like because I'm often cleaning while I listen to audiobooks.

So take your time is listening and savoring this tasty treat of a listen! I'd highly recommend for a summer listen if you haven't already read the story.
Carrie with Beverly Lewis

This book is available at audible.com (click here), at local Christian bookstores, at book retailers such as Christian Book Distributors in CD audiobook format, and online.

Question: What are your favorite types of summer reads?


6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your wonderful review, Carrie! I'm reading this now and she's just getting ready to leave soon for Cape May. Can't wait to read about her experiences there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to visit there! Glad you liked the review!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful review Carrie! The Ebb Tides sounds very interesting. I really enjoy Beverly Lewis's books and my mother loves her books. I may have to pick up a paper back copy for her.
    I read all types during the summer as I do all year.
    Blessings, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, that should be The Ebb Tide not Tides...
      Blessings,Tina

      Delete
    2. This is a lovely summer read or listen, Tina! I think your mom would enjoy this. Might be a good distraction after losing her son, your brother, so unexpectedly. Again, I offer my sincere condolences.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Carrie.
      Blessings,Tina

      Delete

Google Analytics