Pages

05 January 2017

Audiobook Review of Kim Vogel Sawyer's Guide Me Home

Guide Me Home by Kim Vogel Sawyer
Narration by Kate Forbes
Audibook by Recorded Books

Skillfully & Beautifully Guided Home!
Review by Carrie Fancett Pagels

Since my great-grandmother was from Olive Hill, Kentucky, which is right by Carter Caves, I had to listen to this book. We've been to Carter Caves once, and it was fascinating. The references Ms. Sawyer makes to that total darkness are so true. There's nothing liking being in the pitch and total black of a cave where even the person standing right next to you is not at all visible.

Kim Vogel Sawyer's novel gives multiple points of view for this fascinating novel. I'm pretty sure there were five but it might have only been four. Her rendering of local accents struck me as fairly accurate. Like Rebekah, the heroine, my own mother was the only sibling who didn't have an Eastern Kentucky Appalachian accent. I think Mom must have worked on that whereas Rebekah credits her book-reading for the absence of her accent.  

Because of the dangers of cave exploration, I found I kept waiting -- like a "wait for it. . . wait for it. . ." moment and when it arrives it is such a twist that I was totally taken by surprise. Well done! Didn't see that coming.

I am not a fan of Kate Forbes as a narrator. When I realized she was doing the narration I almost returned the audiobook. I'm glad I didn't. She ended up for this title doing a fine job.

Bibliotherapy: Class differences, educational differences, poverty, disobedience, consequences of sin, and the power of love to overcome.

Available from Barnes & Noble 
Also at Audible.com
Christian Book Distributors
Amazon

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lovely review, Carrie, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I love Kim's books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one with particular tastes in narrators. I've only managed to start listening to audiobooks this past year, b/c honestly, I enjoy my own narration and speed of reading vs. anyone else's. haha Yet, I decided to take the plunge and I tend to have an audiobook at the ready while also reading a different title in digital or paperback. So my audiobooks listening is usually left for the car and sometime while I'm busy around the house. I only have under 20 audiobooks under my listening belt, but I've quickly discovered my favorite narrators and/or reading styles.

    Thanks for the nice review of KVS's audiobook. I appreciate your audiobook reviews, b/c they can be quite a different experience that actually reading the book. I haven't yet read a book by Kim, but have many of them on my tbr list. You mentioned she uses multi-POV's in this one. I love that! It's so refreshing to read books with multi-POV's after a string of single or dual POV books. Not that I don't enjoy them, as well; I have just found that I really, really like multi-POV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TERRILL, it sure does make a difference if you get a bad narrator, doesn't it? Usually a stellar story can over come that. And with a so-so narrator and a great story you can get back that. It's when the story isn't quite up to par AND there's a weak narrator that the author truly loses out. Although there was one horrendous narration on a book that had me returning it ASAP and letting the author know. Sadly, the author has no control unless they Indie published it. You'll love this new novel from Kim Vogel Sawyer, Terrill! Blessings!

      Delete
  3. I am an avid reader, but have not tried audio yet! I have this book in paperback and plan to read it soon. I have read ALL of Kim's books, and she is a fave! Do we share the same birthday, Carrie??? Mine is Jan. 5!! Happy Birthday to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, JACKIE, we DO share same birthday! Hope yours was better than mine was! With RA, I never know when my immune system is going to go haywire. You have to try audiobooks in 2017! They are a great accompaniment to house cleaning!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful review Carrie! I love a book that has that "wait for it moment" that totally surprises you when it comes. Love Kim's books.
    Blessings, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, Carrie. I am a newbie to audio books, having listened to only one complete book at this time..lol. However, any misgivings I had about audiobooks were up to rest. It really has to be the best way to workout!
    This one sounds like I will need to 'read' it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, BETTI, that audiobooks like Kim Sawyer's are great for workouts, too! Definitely find a way to read this book whether with your eyes or ears!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your wonderful review, Carrie!! Love Kim Vogel Sawyer's writing - I've had the pleasure of attending one of her book signings and also a 2-day women's conference in which she had 3 speaking sessions. She's such a godly sweet lady with an amazing healing testimony!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying you get your own healing, Angel BONNIE! With this one by Kim Sawyer set in Kentucky, I think you'd enjoy it!

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed your review, Carrie! I realize audio books are a wonderful tool for those who can't read for some reason but I have stopped listening to several books because the narrator was not engaging. I would actually find myself half dozing. Can't follow a story that way! :-) I'm glad to hear this one turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently fell asleep while listening to a brand new release and am going to return the audiobook, Anne, despite it being by a fave author. It is a combo of both poor narration and poor story this time, though. Thankfully, such isn't the case with Kim Vogel Sawyer's new novel! It was a lovely listen!

      Delete

Google Analytics