Pages

08 December 2012

Christmas Recipes from Melody Durant




CANDIED WALNUTS

1 ½ c. sugar
1 t. white corn syrup
½ c. milk
1 t. vanilla
4 drops red food color
2 ½ c. walnuts or other nut
¼ t. salt

    In a 2 quart pan add sugar, milk, color, salt & syrup.
2.  Look at your candy thermometer to see where ‘soft ball’ is located.  Place your candy thermometer onto the side of the pan.  Cook to soft ball.  This takes awhile.
3.  Add vanilla & nuts.  Stir until creamy.
4.  Quickly turn out on waxed paper & separated with fork.

You SOOO cannot eat just one!  This recipe came from my Aunt Delores Nixon.  When I asked Jesus to be my Savior at age 25 she was the first one I called.  I KNEW she’d understand – she was always a Christian witness in my life.  
______________

RED VELVET CAKE

2 c. flour
1 c. buttermilk
1 t. baking powder
2 eggs
1 t. salt
¾ c. oil
1 t. baking soda
1 t. vinegar
1 t. cocoa
1 t. vanilla
1 ½ c. sugar
1 oz (bottle) red food color
GLAZE
FROSTING
¾ c. milk
8 oz cream cheese, softened
½ c. sugar
½ c. margarine or butter, softened
1 # powdered sugar, sifted
1 t. vanilla
¾ cup coconut

1.  Preheat oven to 375°F.
2.  In large bowl combine the dry ingredients.
3.  Add buttermilk, eggs, oil and vinegar  Beat at low  speed for 1 minute until combined.
4.  Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
5.  Add vanilla and food color and beat at low speed till blended.
6.  Pour into a greased 9x13 or two round cake plans.
7.  Bake for 25 to 28 minutes.
8.  While cake is baking, in a small saucepan, combine the milk and sugar.  Heat on low until the sugar is dissolved.
9.  After cake comes out of oven let cook for 5 minutes.
Pour milk/sugar mixture over the WHOLE cake.
10. Let cool and then place in fridge until cold.  This will make it extremely easier to ice.
11. FROSTING – In a large bowl cream the cheese and margarine. 
12. Stir in powdered sugar.  Beat with an electric mixer  until creamy.
13. Add vanilla and coconut, stir thoroughly.
14. Frost cake when cold.

    Every Red Velvet cake recipe calls for two bottles of food color but I have found that one is just fine.

    If making a two layer cake I always make a double batch of frosting.  There is more area to cover and you certainly do not want to cheat anyone!

Many, many years ago a favorite restaurant in our home town sold this most delicious cake.  I experimented with many recipes looking for the reason why the cake at this restaurant was so moist and sweet.  Every Red Velvet I have ever tasted is dry……sure folks brag on them but who wants to eat a dry cake?  After begging the dessert baker for a couple of years she finally got tired of me asking and gave me this recipe.  IT’S THE GLAZE!  Though I shared this new found cake with many, the recipe I kept under lock and key.  My husband would try the old guilt trip but even that wouldn’t work.  Eventually I shared it with just a few, one being my mother-in-law.  Years later I find out that she turned it in for their church cookbook – much to my dismay.  Well……there you have it – I guess I might as well share it with you!            
______________

TO DIE FOR UNCOOKED ICING 

1 stick margarine
3 T. flour
½ c. shortening
2/3 c. milk (room temperature)
1 c. sugar
2 t. vanilla


1.  In a medium bowl cream together the margarine, shortening and sugar.
2.  Stir in milk and vanilla.
3.  Using a mixer begin beating while adding one spoonful of flour at a time.
4.  Beat at least ten minutes. 

I feel like I’m confessing my sins.  I’ve never used this on a cake.  It goes in a bowl and lives in the refrigerator.  When I need a BIG spoonful, I don’t guess I need to tell you anymore.  I’ve thought that if I had a restaurant I would serve a cup of this as a dessert.  Light, fluffy, yummy!
______________

COCONUT CREAM DELIGHT

LAYER 1
LAYER 2
1 c. flour
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 c. butter
1 c. powdered sugar
1 c. pecans, chopped
1 c. whip cream
LAYER 3
LAYER 4
3 c. milk
Rest of large whip cream
2 small instant vanilla pudding
2 c. toasted coconut
1 c. coconut

Preheat oven to 350°. Spread 2 cups coconut on a flat baking pan. Toast in oven, checking every 5 minutes. Stir.  You’ll wait a few minutes for it TO HAPPEN, and BANG…it’s almost too toasty….so watch it!

LAYER 1
    Cut flour into butter (smoosh together).  Add pecans.
    Spread in 9x13 pan.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Cool.

LAYER 2
    In a medium bowl cream together cheese and sugar. Gently stir in whip cream.
    Spread over cooled crust.

      LAYER 3
    In a medium bowl whisk together milk with puddings.  Let set for 30 minutes or till thickened. 
    Stir in coconut.
    Spread over cheese mixture.

       LAYER 4
    Top with remaining whip cream from a large container.
    Sprinkle toasted coconut over top.
    Refrigerate several hours.
  
* For my personal preference….I double the crust recipe!

This is a different version of the Chocolate Nut Delight….just think of what you can do with this recipe!  My friends have decided this is their favorite dessert that I make!
______________

BROCCOLI SALAD

2 bunches broccoli, chopped
1 c. Miracle Whip
1 large red onion, chopped
½ c. sugar
1# bacon, crumbled
2 T. white vinegar
8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
Black pepper to taste
                            
1.  In a large bowl combine broccoli, onion, bacon and cheese.
2.  In a medium bowl combine dressing ingredients.  Stir till                                          blended.
3.  Just prior to serving pour over salad and stir.

This recipe was a contest winner for me in the 90’s.  I like doing things the hard way….shredding the cheese, frying and crumbling the bacon, chopping the veggies…it takes awhile but you could take some shortcuts!

I have seen some variety’s of this recipe but my family likes this one best!

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these recipes...I hope they brings much happiness to your tummy and ZERO pounds on your thighs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been a very successful cake maker from scratch, but I'd like to try the coconut recipe for Christmas eve. When you say a flat baking pan, are you referring to a cookie sheet? Or like one of those 12x something pans you can buy in the store, that is not as tall as a 13x9? Thanks!

      Delete
    2. The flat baking pan (like a pizza pan or cookie sheet) is for toasting the coconut. You'll need a 13x9 for the whole recipe. Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  2. These recipes look great, Melody! Thanks so much for letting us post these on OWG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what wonderful recipes !! Thank you so much Melody !!!! This set of recipes will be a great addition to my Christmas Day brunch .. I have the kids and their families over, and these are going to be great to share with them.. I may even try the cake, haven't done one from scratch in such a very long time !!

    Thank you again Melody, everything sounds delicious !!!!

    Rosemary Foley rfoley@salemstate.edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are VERY WELCOME! If you don't win the book...I know where you can order one! There's lots of good stuff in it!

      Delete
  4. Tomorrow we'll be having our Christmas celebration at our church in the Reynosa, Mexico dump. With funds provided, some of our ladies from there will be making the tamales, charro beans and Spanish Rice. I usually bring homemade brownies or cake but today I made 2 GIANT Mississippi Mud cakes! Wonder how that will go over. When you have limited foods that you eat - some things are just not tasty...so they tell me.

    I also have a friend that participates in a cookie exchange where she teaches. When I first met her she said she needed to get home to prepare the SLICE AND BAKE cookies for her gift. WHAT? I exclaimed! SLICE AND BAKE...are you kidding me? From that point on she always lets me know it's that time of year to make S&B...& off I go to make her my Mel's Pink Cookies (that they request!)! For a picture of some of these recipes, check out my cookbook facebook page... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Like-Elijah-Ministry/267560373266975?fref=ts#!/pages/-Youre-A-Preachers-Wife-Cookbook/263003117074040?fref=ts

    ReplyDelete
  5. I for one plan to try all the above yummy sounding recipes! Thanks for posting! This is a cookbook I must have!

    Blessings!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to hear what you think after making them!

      Delete
  6. wonderful recipes!! love red velvet cake and broccoli-salad!! Rhonda
    rhonda_nash_hall@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melody these all sound so good, hopefully I'll be well enough to try some of them for Christmas. Thanks for sharing with us. :)

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics