Pages

19 March 2017

Julianna Deering -- Overcoming the Loss of Beloved Pets


Julianna Deering, welcome to Overcoming With God.  We appreciate your willingness to share your testimony of overcoming with our readers.  

Would you tell us about the one of the most difficult things in your life you have had to overcome, with God’s help?   
Anyone who knows me knows how much I love my cats. I love most animals to tell the truth, but I keep cats because they’re so easy to take care of and so loving to have around. One of the most difficult things for me was when I lost three of them over a short period of time due to cancer. For me, losing one of my babies is as painful as losing a child. Losing three was very difficult. They each had a unique personality that can never be replaced.

CFP: I am sorry for your loss. I can't imagine losing all three of them so close together. 

What passages in the Bible have been most helpful to you in those times?
My very favorite verse for difficult times is Isaiah 41:13:  For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, “Do not fear. I will help you.” No matter what I’ve gone through, I have always found this to be true. I may not see it at first, but eventually I can see His hand guiding me and comforting me through whatever comes.
What helped you get through or helped you cope with this difficulty?
God’s help and comfort, of course. But getting new cats (especially the ones from the shelter who desperately need homes) always lets me know that life goes on and that He provides us with love and companionship if we just look for it.
CFP: I found that picture of a trio of adorable kittens on the internet and am sharing it here. There are so many pets looking for adoption -- and love!

Disability friendliness: Is this latest release available in audio format or do you have any other works available on audio?  Do your e-books have audio capability? Do you have any in large print?  
At present, only the first book in the series, Rules of Murder, is available as an audiobook, however every book in the series is text-to-speech enabled and available in a large-print version.
CFP: My audiobook review will be up on Tuesday!

In this latest work, do you have any topics useful for bibliotherapy, or therapeutic influence through reading about a disorder or situation?  
I’m not sure if this is the kind of situation you’re looking for, but I do happen to have someone in Murder on the Moor who is blind. I didn’t plan on her being blind originally. I didn’t even plan on having her in the book at all, but she appeared and fit into my plot just perfectly. I especially like her because her blindness doesn’t define her. 

BIO:
JULIANNA DEERING has always been an avid reader and a lover of storytelling, whether on the page, the screen or the stage. This, along with her keen interest in history and her Christian faith, shows in her tales of love, forgiveness and triumph over adversity. A fifth-generation Texan, she makes her home north of Dallas with three spoiled cats and, when not writing, spends her free time quilting, cross-stitching and watching NHL hockey. Her series of Drew Farthering mysteries, set in 1930s England, debuted from Bethany House with Rules of Murder (2013) and is followed by Death by the Book and Murder at the Mikado (2014), Dressed for Death (2016), Murder on the Moor (2017) and Death at Thorburn Hall (coming Fall 2017). Also, as DeAnna Julie Dodson, she has written a trilogy of medieval romances (In Honor Bound, By Love Redeemed and To Grace Surrendered) and six contemporary mysteries for Annie’s Fiction. She is represented by Wendy Lawton of the Books & Such Literary Agency (www.booksandsuch.biz).

Julianna’s Links:
On the web:
&

On Facebook:
On Twitter:

@DeAnnaJulDodson

On Goodreads: Julianna Deering

Book Links:
Christianbook.com: Drew Fathering


Barnes and Noble:

Books-A-Million:

Book blurb:
            At the urgent request of Drew's old school friend, Hubert "Beaky" Bloodworth, Drew and Madeline Farthering come to Bloodworth Park Lodge in the midst of the Yorkshire moors, a place as moody and mysterious as a Brontë hero. According to Beaky, there have been several incidents of mischief making out on the moor, property destroyed, fires started, streams dammed up, sheep and cattle scattered and, if local gossip is to be believed, the sighting of the shadowy figure of a great black hound. Worst of all, the vicar has been found dead on the steps of the church, and no one can imagine who would want to kill him.
            Beaky is obviously smitten with his wife of eight months, the gorgeous and vivacious Sabrina Bloodworth, though it's hard to imagine what she sees in a man as awkward and plain as he. Drew can't help wondering if Sabrina's affections lie more with Beaky's money than himself and, just perhaps, with the fiery Welsh gamekeeper, Rhys Delwyn. Delwyn says poachers are to blame for the recent trouble, Sabrina claims the moor is haunted, and Beaky suspects that Carter Gray, a neighboring landowner with a longstanding grudge against the Bloodworths, is behind the episodes. But when someone else is murdered and the troubling incidents grow more threatening, Drew begins to suspect local ne'er-do-well Jack Midgley of more than poaching. But just how does Midgley fit into the scheme and who is paying him? It's up to Drew to look past his own prejudices, determine what is really going on, and find the killer before it's too late.

GIVEAWAY: Juliana is giving away a paperback copy of Murder on the MoorAnswer this question: What would you like to see in cozy mystery that you haven’t seen before?

27 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for letting me visit your blog. I look forward to your audiobook review.

    The kittens are precious! One of mine is black and white like that, and one is ginger. If there was just a little tabby in the picture, you'd have all three of mine. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww so sorry for the loss of your precious furbabies! We have Molly, she's a Calico. We've had her since she was a kitten, she's five now. I would be devastated if something happened to her. Molly has a beautiful coat...black, white, and orange - and she has a Charlie Chaplin mustache! It's quite funny!

    Please don't enter me in the contest. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julianna, so sorry for the loss of your furbabies. It would be hard to lose three close together. I'm a cat lover and remember how devasted I was as a 11 year old when I lost my first cat. I have a 13 year old long hair domestic cat named Princess. She is exactly that a Princess and so much company.

    I enjoy cozy mysteries without all the descriptive violence, blood shed, etc. Cozy Mysteries set in historical areas would be fun reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, how sweet. I bet she's a beautiful Princess. :D

      Delete
    2. Hi Marilyn! My cat, when I was a little girl, was named Princess, too!

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry that you lost all three fur babies close together! It's so hard when we lose family members! Something I read earlier today may be of some comfort to you, Julianna. This blogger I follow shared the contents of a blessing she received after losing a beloved member of her family.

    http://alfoxshead.blogspot.com/2016/07/answers-about-animals-in-afterlife.html

    As for cozy mysteries, I'm not sure that I've ever read one! I agree with the above commenters that I can do without violence, gore, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julianna sounds like a lovely lady! Pets can add so much to our lives. My kitty Spooky is a rescue cat. She is so fun to have around.

    I like a good mystery, but nothing to dark!

    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like cozy mysteries for the problem solving aspect. I'd like to see more of them with mysteries that aren't murder mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might want to check out my (and other authors') books for Annie's Fiction (anniesfiction.com). There are several different series available, and they are VERY gentle cozies. The ones I have written (under DeAnna Julie Dodson) don't have murder. I think that's the case for all of their books, but I can't say that for sure. :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks Carrie & Julianna.
    Juliannna, so sorry you lost your precious furbabies. Thank you for sharing your testimony. I am a cat lover too. Our cat, Tiger, has been gone for 25 years, still miss him.
    Please don't enter me in the contest.
    Blessings, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel. I lost my first one in 1980, and have lost a total of seven so far. I'll never forget any of them.

      Delete
  8. Welcome to OWG JULIANNA, I love your name, had one of my sons been a girl that was the name I had picked out. :-)

    I'm so sorry you had to lose your little babies. I have a beautiful Russian Blue that hangs around my house. I would love to let him in but I'm allergic to kitties so I can only love him from a distance or a little pat here and there.

    I have your book on my kindle but I must confess haven't read it yet, but it's calling my name since I love a good mystery.

    Thanks again for being with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Teresa!

      My dad's name is Julian and my grandmother wanted me to be named Julianna, so when I had to choose a pen name, Julianna seemed a natural to me. Fortunately, my publisher thought is was a good choice.

      I'm so sorry you're allergic. I couldn't imagine being without my cats.

      I hope you'll give the book a chance. I've had fun writing the series. :D

      Delete
  9. I do enjoy a cozy mystery. I can't think of anything unique I would like to read.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they fun, Mary? As was already mentioned, solving the puzzle is the best part.

      Delete
  10. I too am a cat lover. Also I love books that feature people with disabilities. A person with Downs syndrome would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love mysteries with art/music/literature themes, so I'll always take more of them! Cat burglars (reformed or not) would be fun to see.
    rachaeldalquist(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever read Marjorie Allingham's Campion series (or watch the series with Peter Davison)? His sidekick was a cat burglar "until he lost his figure." Those are fabulous books (and shows). If you like cozy mystery set in the 1930s, you will LOVE them. :D

      Delete
  12. Julianna, I'm so sorry for the loss of your fur babies. I lost my 11 year old Golden Retriever, Happy, due to cancer just over three years ago. Isaiah 41:13 is one of the scriptures that I hold on to also.

    I'm excited to read more of Dashing Drew's mysteries! Thank you for the chance.

    psalm103and138 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caryl! Book Six is due out this fall. I hope you enjoy it! :D

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This February 3 my family had to put our dog pheobe down who we had for 16 yrs. she was a joy to our family. I miss her dearly! I cry myself to sleep because I miss her so much

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics