Pages

05 June 2012

International Review of In the Shadow of Evil by Robin Caroll

In the Shadow of Evil 
by Robin Caroll
Evil Series #3
(B and H Publishing Group 2011)
Reviewed by Marian Baay
5 stars*****


This book is Maddox' story. We met Maddox in Fear No Evil and I was looking forward to get to know him better.


When Maddox was a teenager he found his mother stabbed in her bedroom, after he was late for curfew. She died in his arms. His father blamed Maddox for her death, while he was away for his job and not much at home himself. Maddox never had a good relationship with his father.


Layla is a constructor with her own business. She just won a prize with a Hope for Homes project, but soon that house burns down and a body was found inside. The man in the house was shot before the house burned down. That is where Maddox and his partner come in. They are investigators and good at their jobs.
Many awful things are happening around Layla and with the people she loves. Who is after her? And why?


Maddox had sworn he didn't need a woman. They only meant trouble. The last time he was dating his mother got murdered. But when he meets Layla something is happening inside him. She's different and he likes that. But Layla isn't looking for a man. After the break up with her last boyfriend she has built a wall around her heart. And then there's another issue—Layla is a believer, but Maddox doesn't believe in God. Can Maddox take Layla's walls down? And will Maddox find healing and love with the One he needs the most?


This book is full twists and turns. Little by little we get more glimpses of the bad guy, but it's not easy to figure out who he is. That's what I like in a suspense story, that makes me turn the pages faster and faster. In the Shadow of Evil is a fantastic read with a satisfying end.




Robin's books are available for purchase through Amazon, CBD, Barnes and Noble and other (online) bookstores.

GIVEAWAY: We are giving away a copy of one of Robin's books of your choice. Enter a comment and your email to be entered in this week's contest. Drawing will be late Saturday.

20 comments:

  1. Great review, Marian! You love this book and it shows! Robin is such an awesome lady, I bet her personality really shines through this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks CARRIE! I've loved all of Robin's books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful and exciting review, MARIAN! Sorry, I am so late getting here...but I've been busy doing you know what! lol! Robin sounds like a wonderful author, and I hope to read one of her books someday. My TBR stack is coming down a little, but then come the new books. So many books so little time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I know what you were doing DIANA! lol
    My TBR stack is still too big! I don't read so much in summer, because I like to do things outdoors when the weather is nice. The weather hasn't been too good the last couple of days, so I've been reading again. But I hope and pray the weather will turn nice again soon, because I've seen more than enough rain for the next couple of months. But of course I live in the Netherlands and we always get lots of rain. It's for a reason we're calling it 'frog land'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you must have sent some of that rain here, too, b/c that is what it has been doing for two days and will continue all this week, so the weatherman says. I go in spurts in the summertime as far as my reading. Love to read outside in my swing after supper, when it cools off a little, and listen to my water fountain tinkle. Very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! As Diana said, another author to add to my TBR pile!! This would be a great change from my Historical, Romance, Amish kick. I have to switch it up now and again, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes DIANA, I thought lets send some rain to my half Dutch friend in the US, so you can experience Dutch weather... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. LADETTE, I know what you mean. I have to switch genres so now and then. Last year I only read historical and I got bored with it. Now I enjoy reading suspense, historical, romance, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're funny, MARIAN. :) I need to post this trailer on fb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You ladies make me laugh! :) I enjoy reading suspense and mystery, of course, and I like drama and women's fiction...and romance...I'm not a fan of historicals, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ROBIN, not a fan of historicals?! Oh my, we are going to have to try to convert you, and we only have a week to do it! lol! If you will read one of Laura Frantz's historicals, such as the Frontiersman's Daughter or The Colonel's Lady, I will read one of your suspense books...deal? haha She is one of THE best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another fantastic review, Marian! I think it's time for me to read a good gripping mystery. I've read a lot of Amish fiction and historical fiction lately, but this review has my interest piqued! Thanks for the great review, Marian, and thank you for offering a giveaway!
    Nancee
    quiltcat26@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. ROBIN, Lynnette Bonner writes great historicals and adds suspense. I guess there are more authors out there that combine genres. But being midnight overhere, my mind is half asleep, so I can't think about another one. I'm glad I can still think English... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. NANCEE, thanks for your kind comment!
    Yup, you have to switch genres so now and then. This would make a great read for a change!

    ReplyDelete
  15. DIANA, you go girl! Laura is one of the best in her genre!

    I'm going to sleep now. See y'all tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds exciting! I've never read anything of Robin's...oh the TBR list grows!

    brendon8@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry I was slow stopping by Marian. Great review and great BOOK! I read this one a while ago..I do LOVE Robin's books.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, BRENDA! I know all about that growing TBR list! Lots of luck in the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks TERESA! We both love Robin's books, because she's one of the best. :)

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics