Pages

27 May 2012

Carrie Fancett Pagels Reviews Lena Nelson Dooley's "Pirate's Prize"

Pirate's Prize (Heartsong Presents #656) (Heartsong Audio Book)
Lena Nelson Dooley
Pirate's Prize (audiobook)
Heartsong Presents romance, Barbour Publishing, 2006

I listened to the unabridged audiobook. Lena offered me this audiobook when I told her I saw it listed at $96 new on Amazon!  Her husband was kind enough to mail it to me, which is so sweet.

This is a memorable book. I loved the character Angelina de la Fuente Delgado. A wealthy businessman's daughter, she is returning to Florida from Spain with her aunt. A young man on board, Brian O'Doule finds himself distracted by the beautiful young lady. He blames himself when her father's ship is boarded by French-speaking pirates. They take Angelina her and her aunt hostage and the cargo as booty. It was really sad when her father's faithful crew are forced to walk the plank. I hate stuff like that in books but Lena handled it well. The scumbags send the boat to the bottom of the ocean.

Brian, who understands multiple languages, survives because Angelina pretends to only understand Spanish, and hence cannot communicate with Etienne Badeau, the pirate captain who wants to make her his wife.  Brian shelters the women and seeks to help them get free. Meanwhile her father searches for them. Lena did a great job of using the language barrier as a plot device for Brian to develop his relationship  with Angelina while foiling Etienne’s plot to marry her.

There are few Christian fiction books set in Spanish America, especially during the colonial period. Add in the French pirate and I haven't seen anything like this in Christian fiction. The unique story line, setting, and time frame really set this book apart in a big way.

Heartsongs seem to be showing up more and more in Kindle. Maybe this excellent story will also become a Kindle book. 

Loved the hero's godly character. Lena is known for creating amazing heroes who are strong Christian men. And Lena didn't make Etienne Badeau too creepy, although she could have - just enough to give you the start of the willies but no more. 


If you can get your hands on this audiobook, it is a wonderful listen! I would consider it a backlist favorite with sticking power.  The narrator was very good, too.


16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful review, CARRIE, on a great sounding book. This storyline sounds different and intriguing. Lena is a master storyteller!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Lena's hubby sounds like a keeper. No wonder she loves him so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for featuring me. I loved writing that book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. $96?? Wow, that must be a real GOOD book then! lol
    Great review CARRIE.
    It sounds like a book for TERESA. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to get this book up on Colonial Quills, too, because there are no other colonial era books like it, LENA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, MARIAN, I am not loaning mine to her, lol, but I'd happily find a copy of the book for her!!! TERESA is a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, MARIAN! TERESA and her pirates. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful cover ~ and intriguing story!

    I'd love to enter the giveaway! Thank you!

    biblioprincess15 (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm, I think I commented on the wrong post somehow. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carrie, If it's backlisted does that mean we can't find a paper copy?

    ReplyDelete
  11. RACHELLE, thanks for visiting! We'll find your comment! No worries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ANNE, if I understand backlist, there are several definitions in the writers' communities. I never thought of it at all until I was reading and doing reviews. Like a typical reader, I read what I like. I'm was not necessarily looking for the newest release. Then my author friends told me it was important to get coverage of their latest releases vs. their backlist books. I was like, huh? In some cases the books were only a year or two old. I am not exactly sure what backlist technically is. But I think it means not in the current year's catalog. Could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, ANNE, so here is a link that explains it - the front of a publisher's catalog shows the new titles from that year and the back shows titles still selling. Interesting answer. Blessings!
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_back-list_title_front-list_title_mean_in_publishing_industry_terms

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to win a copy of one of her books. She's quite an author, I hear.
    katelynmwhitley@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wait, I think I commented on the wrong post. Ack.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really looking forward to reading this series by Lena, would love to win a copy of one of them.

    Patty
    pattymh2000(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics