Pages

26 December 2011

Diana's Corner - Book Review Jewel of Persia by Roseanna White



Jewel of Persia by Roseanna White
5 stars~ *****
Reviewed by Diana L. Flowers
A GEM OF A NOVEL!

In this fictionalized novel of the Biblical book of Esther, Roseanna White takes us on a mesmerizing, soul-stirring journey into the palace of King Xerxes, King of Persia, a place where opulence and jeweled concubines, gods and goddesses, jealousies, treachery, and forbidden passions rule. It is to this place a lovely young Jewess named Kasia is drawn, and to which her destiny becomes forever sealed.

Kasia and her best friend, Esther, also a jewess, are playing at the river when spotted by the King of Persia and several of his men, and she finds herself summoned to the palace to become the king's next wife. Although the king has many wives and concubines, he falls head over heels in love with Kasia, and she immediately becomes his favorite, inciting much jealousy amongst the other women. Kasia loves the man beneath the crown with her whole heart, but soon learns the ultimate price she must pay for loving a man she must share with many women and his vast kingdom; a man who holds death and life in the power of his hands.

King Xerxes is a man amongst men, handsome and strong, cruel and vengeful, a man of war, but at the same time vulnerable and loving towards his children and Kasia. Although he serves a heathen god, Kasia is determined to place her trust in the Lord God Jehovah, even if it costs her her marriage. As much as she loves Xerxes, why does she decide to talk her husband into making her childhood friend, the beautiful Esther, his new queen? And what unselfish decision does Esther make and what favor does she ask of Xerxes?...that changes the entire destiny of her people, the Jews.

This book absolutely blew me away! I knew that no review I could write would ever do it justice, but I gave it my best shot. Ms. White's realistic characters wound themselves around my heart, as I became totally immersed in their lives. Because this was a fiction based on fact novel of the Biblical book of Esther, Roseanna's research had to have been very extensive! Her knowledge of the intricate details of the history and customs of not only the Jewish people, but the Persians as well, was mind boggling to me. A fabulous page turner with a heartpounding conclusion, Jewel of Persia is guaranteed to keep the reader burning the proverbial midnight oil! What a masterpiece, Roseanna!

(This book made it into Diana L. Flowers' Books of the Year list!!! Watch for the full list soon!)

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had the chance to read this, Diana! Great to see the review up here, too--thanks, Carrie and Diana! Happy second day of Christmas! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great book! If it made it into your favorite books of 2011 list, then I should make time to read it, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same to you, Roseanna. I hope all of my friends are coming by to read it; I tried for 45 minutes to share it on my wall, and it wouldn't so Carrie tagged me. I assume my friends can see the announcement, and I hope they will ALL order a copy. I enjoyed reading this one better in paperback, so that I could see that beautiful cover on my table! Great book, Roseanna!

    I have your new book, LFY in Annapolis, MD., but haven't had a chance to get to it yet, with the holidays, and my daughter and gson trying to move out...they have been staying with us for the past 5 months. Hoping for some good reading time in January!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking you are right, Maid Marian! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First I'm going to read LFY in Annapolis. I hoped to read it soon, but I have to read manuscripts first, so it has to wait. I'm really looking forward to get to know Roseanna's work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review Diana. I have this on my Kindle, and now that things are slowing down, hope I can read it soon. Sounds wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, Diana! I love the story of Queen Esther, and I would love to read this book! Thanks for the opportunity!

    gwen[dot]gage[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well GWEN, since Diana recommends it, I have to read it at some point. I wish I could get accustomed to the horrible voice on Kindle that will read the book for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Gwendolyn! Roseanna has written a whole different take on the story; than any of the other versions I have read of Queen Esther. I loved reading this one in paperback, b/c of that lovely cover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The book sounds good!!! :) Thanks for highlighting it! I can't wait to read it.

    srstormo at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for dropping by, Salena! I know you will love this one. So different than what I expected!

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics