Pages

04 June 2017

Overcoming with God: The Dreaded Yearly Exam -- By Melissa Henderson

Melissa Henderson, Christian Fiction Writer

The Dreaded Yearly Exam
by Melissa Henderson, Guest Writer

As a 12 years breast cancer survivor, I have visited many doctors and endured many medical tests over the years. Diagnosis, surgery, chemotherapy, radiation and 5 years of anti-cancer medications are all part of my individual journey.

My doctor sends me to a beautiful, state of the art center for my mammograms. The outside surroundings show tall mountains and the beauty of history of long ago.

Each appointment, I feel God nudging me to notice my surroundings even more than usual. The beauty outside is breathtaking. There is beauty inside the building, too.
Yet, there is something very special about the room for people waiting to get their mammograms.

The first thing I notice is the silence. The next thing I notice is the lack of eye to eye contact. People walk into the room, fill out paper work and dont look up. Maybe they dont want to admit their fear of the test reports and the possibilities of a worrisome diagnosis.

I sit in silence and watch. The complimentary coffee machine makes a gurgling sound. The tapping and shuffling sound of shoes worn by medical personnel and patients traveling from room to room has a rhythmic beat. Elevator doors opening and closing with a beep each time gives wonder as to who will be called in next for their test.

Pausing to consider why there is such silence, I am reminded by God that we may afraid of the outcome of the tests. Everyone in the room is there for an annual visit or have been asked to return for another look at their test results. Either way the fear of the unknown has settled in this room. This has happened for all 12 years of my visits to the center.

Deciding to overcome my fear of the unknown and hopefully, help others, I look at the very next person who enters the waiting room. As she looks for an empty seat while holding on to her purse and hospital paperwork, I rise from my seat and say, Hello, would you like some help?

At first she is caught off guard and the fear shows all over her face. I do not know this woman, yet I know her fear.
She pauses, stops in mid step, looks around the room and whispers, Yes, please.

I hold her paperwork while she finds a seat. Handing the papers back to her, I find a seat beside her. I smile and begin chatting about the weather. Simple conversation, nothing major.
This stranger calms her breathing, fills out her paperwork and turns to me. Thank you. I am so scared. Ive never been called back for a return visit for my mammogram.

You are welcome. Then, the conversation continues with talk of where we live, what we have scheduled for the day and other news.

Time passes and my name is called. Then, her name is called.

I am no longer afraid of what will happen. God has allowed me to help someone else by showing His love with a friendly smile and a simple chat.


Yes, the fear that can consume us when we await tests and test results can be overcome with God.

Question: How has God help you overcome a difficult test you've had to have done?

18 comments:

  1. I have my 6 month checkup next week and you have just helped me. Tomorrow I am going with my mother to talk to a Urologist about the mass on her kidney. You pointed me back to the reason that God has allowed us to go through trials. It is to bring us closer to Him and each other. Your story was timely. Thank you!😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a breast cancer survivor of 13 years and I definitely know whY you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Melissa for sharing your testimony.

    6 months ago I had an abnormal mammogram and breast sonogram and had to have it repeated the end of last month. My cousin (my mother's sister's daughter) had breast cancer 12 years ago, so breast cancer certainly ran through my mind. However, I prayed and felt God's peace these past 6 months. According to the tech the mammogram was "normal". I see the doctor on the 15th to learn the results but have peace no matter the results.

    Blessings,Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mammograms are very important. I am glad your results were normal and God's peace is with you. I love how God comforts us.

      Delete
  4. Thank goodness, God is with us every step of the way. My mother fell a few days ago and broke her hip, did the same thing with other hip last year. As I now have to make decisions for her with doctors and rehab facilities, it can be very difficult at times. Thankfully, I know I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about your Mother falling. That is scary! You are right. You are not alone. God is with you and your Mother.

      Delete
  5. I really appreciate you sharing your testimony, Melissa! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! We never know how we will be able to help others. God always has a plan and I am thankful for His plan.

      Delete
  6. Where I have my yearly mammo, a nurse had written II Cor. 4:8a on their nurse sign-in board: "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed;" The last time I was there, I mentioned to the nurse who brought me in how much that had meant to me each year I came that it was still written there. She told me that she was the one who had written it there originally. It showed compassion to me and our Lord's ever present Presence. Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I am thankful for nurses and others who are bold in sharing their faith. Great comfort!

      Delete
  7. Aw, how beautifully put! I love that you are willing to "break" that silence in the waiting room. I haven't had to be in that waiting room ever yet, but your words will stick with me and I will try to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am constantly amazed at the ways God speaks, even in the silence.

      Delete
  8. Melissa, thank you for sharing your heart and testimony. I've been called back for further images and it was scary. I was thankful I knew individuals were praying and I had faith God would see me through. In the end, everything was find. When I have my annual exam now I always look around to see if there is someone I can chat with and encourage. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad your results were good. Being called back can be scary. Blessings to you,too.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for your touching testimony, Melissa!! What an inspiring, sweet thing to do for the patients in your doctor's office - it made both you and the patient you helped feel much better and more comfortable, I'm sure.

    As a 3rd time cancer patient - one of which was breast cancer - I've been a part of that silence in the waiting rooms many times. Having conversation with someone during those visits - such as you did - would have brightened the visits, for sure. With no cure for my present cancer - I no longer have tests or doctor appointments, however, I will pass along your idea of one helping other patients whenever I have the opportunity. Through staying close to God and the many prayers continually offered on my behalf - He has given me a joy and peace in my situation. I'm so happy you are a continued breast cancer survivor and am saying a prayer for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, you are an inspiration. Three times cancer patient. You have been through a lot. I am praying for peace and comfort for you.

      Delete

Google Analytics