Pages

31 January 2016

MaryLu Tyndall Character Interview - Charity Westcott, Lady Villemont

Charity's Cross by MaryLu Tyndall

Interview with the infamous murderer, Charity Westcott, Lady Villemont

By Franklin Morris of the Caribbean Chronicle

“Thank you for meeting with me today, Lady Villemont.” Mr. Morris takes a seat in the tiny cabin on board the Vintage.

Charity lifts her hands and jangles the irons binding her wrists together. “I don’t believe I had a choice, Sir.”

Franklin shifts uncomfortably in his chair and pulls out a pen, ink, and parchment. “Yes…well…Let me start with a simple question. You are…were married to Herbert Gregson, Lord Villemont?”

“I was, yes.”

“And his lordship was found shot to death in the parlor of his house nearly three months ago.”

Charity lowers her gaze and swallows a lump of emotion. “Is that a question or a statement?”

“A statement, I suppose.”

“’Tis why I am here as well you know, Sir.”

“Indeed.”  He nods and jots down something on his paper. “Then do enlighten us, Lady Villemont. Why did you kill your husband?”

Charity gazes out the porthole of the tiny cabin. “Whether I killed him or not is for the court to decide. But his death was an accident, if you must know.”

Mr. Morris snorts. “I suppose a pistol simply appeared in your hand?”

She faces him, annoyed at his impertinence. “In truth, I grabbed it to protect myself.”

“From what, pray tell?”

“From my husband, Sir.”

Mr. Morris’s eyes light up as he dips his pen in ink and scribbles across his parchment.  “Are you saying that Lord Villemont, the pillar of Portsmouth society, intended to harm his own wife?”

She raises her chin. “I am saying exactly that, Sir. He was a different man at home.”

“Indeed.” Mr. Morris gives a disbelieving smile. 

“Yet, I hear from his brother that you were not only a bad wife but unfaithful as well.”

Charity’s face heats as her breath comes hard and fast. “My husband was also a good liar.”

“Hmm.” Mr. Morris studies her. “Yet you left your dead husband on the parlor floor and fled England to embark on some grand adventure in the Caribbean with your lover…what was his name?”

He flips through his parchment. ”Ah, yes, Elias Dutton.” He chuckles. “Claims he’s a preacher!”

“He is a preacher and he is not my lover.” She places her hands in her lap, the clank of iron ringing through the room. In truth, Elias is the kindest most honorable man I know. He helped me to see that God is not to blame for my misfortune.”

“He did, did he? Was this while you shared a cabin together on more than one ship?” He gives a cynical chuckle.

The ship rolls over a wavelet as Charity narrows her eyes. “’Twas necessary for our survival. And he never touched me.”

Shaking his head, Mr. Morris writes furiously on his paper. “What exactly did you blame God for, Lady Villemont?”

“For my marriage, my husband’s abuse…” She presses a hand on her stomach. “Other misfortunes.”

Mr. Morris frowns. “Since God is supposedly all-powerful and all-knowing, why shouldn’t we blame Him when troubles arise?”

Charity eyes him, sensing a sorrow hovering about him. “Because ofttimes our struggles are merely a result of our own actions. God warned me not to marry Lord Villemont and then once I had, God gave me opportunities to leave. I did nothing.”
 
“Humph. I never caused the problems which came my way.” Mr. Morris’s tone bore anger.

A spark of excitement rises within Charity at the opportunity before her. “Even if we didn’t bring on our misfortune, there could be a thousand reasons for it. The actions of others, a test, a chastisement, a device through which God changes our course or brings us closer to Him. Or the devil himself.”

He stops writing and gazes up at her, searching her face.  

She lays a hand on his arm. “One thing I have learned, Mr. Morris, is that God loves us, and if we allow Him, He will work everything out for our good, even those problems of our own making.”

His lips twist as doubt clouds his eyes. “And yet here you are in chains on a ship bound for trial in England.”

Charity sits back in her chair. “I am willing to face trial. Whatever comes of it, I have learned one thing. I will trust God.”

“Even if you hang?”

“Especially if I hang.”

Mr. Morris lays down his pen and gazes at Charity with a look quite different than the incriminating look of disgust he gave her upon entering the cabin. “I must admit, this interview didn’t go as I expected.  You, milady, are not what I expected.”
Charity smiles as Mr. Morris stands and gathers his things. “You have given me much to think about, Lady Villemont. I wish you the best.”


“As I do you, Sir. God speed to you.”

Author MaryLu Tyndall 
MaryLu Tyndall grew up on the shores of Southern Florida dreaming of romance and adventure upon the sea. She now lives with her husband, six children, and four cats in Northern California where she writes inspirational adventure romance novels. MaryLu's novels have been praised for their fast-paced action, strong inspirational messages, and incredibly vivid settings. Her first novel, The Redemption was nominated for the prestigious Christy Award for Best Christian Fiction. 

43 comments:

  1. This book was so deliciously good, CARRIE! Oh my! Loved the interview with Charity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to reading this new books especially because of the way you have been raving about it!

      Delete
  2. Oh Carrie, love this interview with Lady Charity! I am reading this now, really enjoying it so far. Congratulations MaryLu on your book!
    Blessings, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this interview,too!! Now I really can't wait to read this story.If this interview is any indication,this book is going to be great. Thumbs Up,Marylu for a job well done,and Thanks,Carrie for this post !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lynne I am hearing that Charity's Cross is an amazing read! I'm looking forward to reading it and we have reviews up this week!

      Delete
  4. Thanks Carrie for having me on!! And thank you Ladies for your comments!! I loved interviewing Charity. :-) She's become quite dear to me. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was so adorable having Charity be interviewed on the OWG blog ML!!! Blessings back to you! Thanks for sharing her with us!!!

      Delete
    2. She's become quite dear to me as well....one of my favorite characters by far.

      Delete
  5. Wow! Love this interview! Fun! I'm on tour for Charity's Cross and I can't wait to read it! =) Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I hope you enjoy it. :-)

      Delete
    2. Hey Annie! I bet you'll love it! I'm looking forward to reading Charity's Cross too!

      Delete
  6. Fabulous interview! The cover is gorgeous! Capt'n MaryLu, congrats on your release of Charity's Cross. I'm ready for an incredible adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ML did a great job with Charity's interview Caryl! I love that cover too and I have to wonder how even more amazing the dress would be in deep PINK ;) ;)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Caryl!! I love the cover too. Pink, huh... you may be onto something there, Carrie! ;-)

      Delete
  7. Well, if that doesn't leave you trembling with excitement to read "Charity's Cross" - I don't know what will!! So many more exciting scenes in this book - I absolutely loved it and personally think it may be MaryLu's best yet!! Thanks for the beautiful interview!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation Bonnie and I'd love to read Charity's Cross! I need to make more margin's in my time so I can read more! Blessings!

      Delete
    2. Bless you, Bonnie!!! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  8. I do love character interviews. Wonderful thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot wait until tomorrow when I receive my kindle copy that my daughter bought for me!I know I wont be dissapointed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot wait for my copy to get here! Loved the interview and Cap'n MaryLu's heart for the Lord!! Nothing impresses me more in a Christian author..when their love for Him shines through their words! She is fabulous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johnette...!! You should have received your copy already???

      Delete
  11. Wonderful interview! This definitely must go on my TBR list. Congratulations MaryLu on another great one!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great interview! I loved the book. MaryLu, I especially like the biblical lesson shared in this interview and in the book. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that adorable? I love these character interviews, Kathy, and ML did a great job with this!

      Delete
  13. What a fun interview! This is my new favorite book by MaryLu....so much to love about it. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hearing that ML's new book is everyone's fave like you are saying, Chappy Debbie!!!

      Delete
  14. I can hardly stand that I haven't read it yet! MaryLu, if I haven't told you already... I absolutely LOVE your books and I'm thrilled to my toes you have another one out!! :-) I've bought a copy and it's sitting on my Kindle right now teasing me! The cover btw is phenomenal. It should win best cover of 2016 already. And last but not least... Fabulous interview and a delicious foretaste!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Highly recommend this book! I really enjoyed reading it.

    Great interview. Congrats on your latest release!

    -Janella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janella, for your recommendation! I'm hearing great things about ML's Charity's Cross!!!

      Delete
  16. MARYLU what a fabulous book; from the cover to the characters, everything is delightful! Just when I think WOW MaryLu's books cannot get any better you raise the bar once again! Charity and Elias' story was just what this ole broken heart needed, it did make it stop a couple of times though! ;-) lol

    (((BIG HUGS))) to you my sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have GOT to read this book soon or I'll bust, Teresa! Charity's Cross sounds excellent and the cover can't be beat!

      Delete
  17. Loved, loved, loved the interview and this surely is one book on my "to read" list. Thanks for posting it! I love the cover and just can't get over how interesting this novel sounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sister Mary Lou, I am hearing that this is ML's most deeply spiritual of all her books and readers are saying this is their new favorite!!!

      Delete
  18. Sassy lady! I love MaryLu's exciting pirate tales!
    worthy2bpraised at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics