Pages

03 December 2012

Guest Post by Melody Durant, Author of “& You’re A Preacher’s Wife?”

Melody Durant


“& You’re A Preacher’s Wife?”
Finger Lickin’ Good Cookbook
By Melody Durant

Join us in welcoming Melody Durant this week  Melody describes herself as: an Okie from Missouri who graduated from Oklahoma State University with a degree in Home Economics Education.  Not long after while ordering lamb fries at a restaurant, someone at the next table got her attention with "a woman after my own heart."  Three months later they were engaged, soon following with both coming to know the Lord and surrendering to the ministry.  Teaching Home Economic high school classes and becoming a 4-H Agent followed with a standstill of 14 years between the jobs which allowed her to raise four kids. 
 Recipes included in her cookbook were not created by her but collected through the years and served as family and friend favorites.   Recipes have been broken down step by step with many tips to make your life easier.  If it’s a good place to lick your fingers, that’s there also!  Humor is sprinkled throughout  the recipes along with her explanation of how God can use anyone, even someone with spikey hair and a  loud personality, for His purpose. 
As popular as the recipes are the many stories from her preacher and missionary wife days.  “Be prepared to have hankies close by when attempting to read through the book  as you will be laughing till you cry,” many have commented.   Upon leaving their last pastorate, Melody and her husband went in 2004 to serve in the missionary field of Mexico and Nicaragua, where they still serve today. Her Elijah Ministry website link is ww.likeelijahministry.com.
As the pastor’s family, our gift every year to the church was an OPEN HOUSE at the parsonage where EVERYONE was invited to fellowship and feed!   For 2 weeks I would mix, roll, bake, shred and hide the goodies for the big night.  Crawling through the house I would dust the baseboards (I was sure the little charter members would bring their white gloves), hang up the stockings with care and perfect the Christmas tree that my daughters had put up on Thanksgiving (my birthday gift to me).   Once, I called my husband to bring home punch from the store that would be made into a delicious concoction.  Now if YOU were shopping for punch for Christmas – what color would you get?  Well, it never even occurred to my honey bunny to coordinate the colors – as he brought home ORANGE!  You try disguising orange into green or red….it took some doing, and fortunately everyone was more concerned with the food rather than the drink!
Open House for the Durants in the 1980's
On that note…these were the goodies I always prepared for our OPEN HOUSE.

*Bon Bons
*Melody’s Pink Cookies (have won contests with these babies)
*Butterhorns (made with ONLY 3 ingredients)
*Cheese Ball
*Sausage Balls (have to make oodles of these as hubby expects a personal supply)
*Firecrackers
*Chocolate Dipped Marshmallows (think Russell Stover Santa Clause)
And You're a Preacher's Wife?

THANKSGIVING

*Crockpot Dressing (of course…the one that takes 5 hours to prepare is better, but in my random
sampling of female participants..this rated quite high).
*Easy Pumpkin Ice Cream
*Old Fashioned Sugar Cream Pie
*Not Another Pumpkin Pie (We were traveling with our pastor to do a revival, had time to freshen up at his inlaws and laying on the table were 2 warm pies, asking to be eaten…and we did.   While one can of pumpkin normally makes 1 pie, this makes 2!
*Aunt Deloris's Cranberries
*Sweet Potato Casserole

You can find several of these recipes on Colonial Quills (click here.)

CHRISTMAS
*Red Velvet Cake (You think you’ve tasted a good one, don’t say anything till you try this one)
*To Die For Uncooked Icing (Use this or the Cream Cheese for the cake.  Some want the heavy-- 
others want the light.)
*Aunt Deloris's Ham
*Really Italian Spaghetti and Meatballs (We did this for last Christmas)
*Broccoli Salad (won some contests)
*Christmas Cake (You won’t wonder anymore about the title of the cookbook)
*Candied Walnuts

THESE GO WITH EVERY HOLIDAY!
*Canned Bread
*Toilet Rolls
*Coconut Cream Delight
*Loaded Mashed Potatoes
*Homemade Root Beer

Melody's recipes will be posted on Saturday and they look awesome! You can purchase her cookbook via Melody's Facebook page.

Giveaway: We are giving away a copy of Melody's cookbook this week on OWG. You can get extra counts by reading any one, or all, of the serial stories in the Frontier Forted Holiday Anthology on CQ AND by answering WHICH one of Melody's Christmas recipes are you MOST looking forward to having?  Leave your comment with FFH# to indicate you read (# put the number) of the serial stories and tell us the recipe you want to know!  So if you have read ALL five serial stories you can count SIX times in the giveaway!

45 comments:

  1. Well, friend, Melody---I am so happy that you have this spot in the limelight. I am especially glad that your cookbook is featured and that others will be able to avail themselves of it. Isn't it great how God works--and now, who is the "queen"!!!! :D Blessings. Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene-that day I met you on Facebook while in Nicaragua - I never dreamed this would be happening. The cookbook was still in the computer! Thank You for guiding me to finding these wonderful author blogs!

      Delete
  2. MELODY, I have seen you on our blog many times, but it's so wonderful to get better acquainted with you! You sound like a very funny lady who has a heart for the Lord and good food -- my kind of girl! But seriously I admire your mission work for God in Nicaragua. I know that isn't an easy job and I have the utmost respect for anyone working in the mission field! This should be a fun week -- especially if I wasn't on a diet! groooann....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for your compliments Diana - but believe me, Philippians 4:13 says it all..."I can do all this through him who gives me strength." The person I was 10 years ago is not the same one today! I was just fine being a preacher's wife and County 4-H Agent and existing in my own world with beautiful fingernails and matching accessories. Now my accessories include matching sun visors (which I make)and flip flops, jumping into the back of crazy busses, climbing through barbwire fence, wading thru creeks, having a RAT crawl down my wall...I am a new woman in Christ..and I love it! Go figure!

      Delete
  3. The recipes on CQ looked awesome, Melody! Thanks for visiting with us this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The true test is if you all will actually make some of these recipes! Thank You Carrie for guiding my efforts!

      Delete
  4. Melody is the best cook I have ever met! She is such a blessing! Her and her husband were blessed with amazing hearts. I love you Mom & Dad! ~~ Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Young lady, don't be calling me by my first name.... I love you too and one day you'll be cooking for me!

      Delete
    2. lol. Well, I had the best teacher anyone could ask for so you should be fine with my cooking!

      Delete
  5. I would like the recipe for Broccoli Salad ~ is this the one with cauliflower in it too, and dried cranberries and walnuts? I need to learn how to make the sauce. I have had it at potlucks and would love to make it myself as we are fresh fruit and vegetable eaters here, along with fish, chicken and nuts. I would love a new recipe. Does that basically make us gatherers and "spear-ers"? And quail in place of chicken ~ unless some prairie chickens happen by.
    Now, those desserts! But, you said to pick one ~ the most liked. I hope I win!!! So yummy just reading them!! Kathleen FFH5
    lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular Broccoli Salad has fresh Broccoli, cheese, red onion, bacon with a coleslaw type dressing. I've seen lots of different versions of this salad and they all sound great - except the one with raisins...ewwwww. I hope you win too!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Melody, and I like your spiked hair. It makes you approachable! was I to put all five or that I read 5 ~ to clarify FFH1-5 all of them! Thanks. FFH1-2-3-4-5

      Delete
    3. You got me here....what's FFH1-2-3-4-5?

      I've had this hair for 11 years - you oughta see the reaction of folks in Mexico and Nicaragua besides those in the good old U.S.A.!

      Delete
    4. So I'm a little slow - FFH is Frontier Forted Holiday - here I thought it was some secret code.

      We're getting ready for almost 100 North Americans to come at Christmas time for a 3 day mission event in Rio Bravo, MX. Last year 3000 folks heard about Jesus, played games, ate charro beans cooked in tamale pots over firewood. So what I'm trying to say - today I'm figuring up the meal menu and how much groceries I need to feed 100 folks on this side of the border!

      Delete
  6. Need to get that recipe for the butterhorns.
    I've FFH#1-5. (Love them all!)
    campbellamyd at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The butterhorns are made out of flour...butter... AND cottage cheese! They are a pastry that has like a million (well, maybe 10) layers with a powder sugar glaze! You will love them!

      Delete
  7. LOVE that you're able to be here "live" and share with others! It was a blast to meet you last week and get to hear a little snippet of what you are up to. We're thankful that God has stitched us together! ;)
    You know all your KnitWit friends are praying for you and yours!
    Prayers & Purls!!!
    ~jeanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Jeanie and all those KNITWITS for all the hard work you put into those shawls & caps!

      They made enough for all our women and kids at the Dump Church in Mexico!

      Delete
  8. I would love to win this. sounds like a great bunch of recipes thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the record..it's not necessarily a HEALTHY cookbook - unless you know how to plan with the food pyramid, then it can be! These are recipes where you can buy the ingredients at YOUR store...not fancy ones!

      Hope you like the stories also! I tend to 'tell' on myself if I think it will make others laugh...

      Delete
  9. Coconut Cream Delight sounds delicious!!! The Open House sounds like it was a fun time! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Coconut Cream Delight was originally the Chocolate Nut Delight then the Lemon Cream Delight! Just think where you can go with this recipe.... Everytime I make a recipe - my friend will say..this is my favorite, so I guess they're ALL her favorites!

      My pastor's wife gave me the idea to have the Open House. It was our gift to the church!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for entering me in the contest for the cookbook, & "You're a Preacher's Wife". I would love to give this book to my Preacher's Wife in appreciation for all she has done for me.
    Janet E.
    von1janet@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melody sounds like a lot of good eating here. Yummy! I'd want to try the "Broccoli Salad."
    I have read all 5 of the Anthology serials that are available. Serial #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 FFH
    Maxie ( mac262@me.com )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For something so simple - it's really good! One of my daughters was more into her 4-H sheep project than cooking. After she married I told her to pick out 2 or 3 dishes that you can make and when invited to someone's house - offer to bring something. This is one on her list.

      Delete
  12. Yes I am married to a Pastor sometimes it is not fun .Some people want to mold you into what they want and not want God wants you to be .Red Velvet Cake (You think you’ve tasted a good one, don’t say anything till you try this one] would be my pick .
    Thanks ,Dana
    jashbk@earthlink.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first became a pastor's wife, I thought maybe I should walk around quoting bible verses, sit with my knees together, act lovely. My pastor's wife shared that I should be who God made me in to - which happened to be a little wacky, loud laugh, loved to play jokes and who loved the Lord. That's how I came about with the title of my cookbook "& You're A Preacher's Wife?" I have heard that a hundred times - and you know...God can use all of us - just as we are!

      Delete
  13. Hi MELODY!! You sound fabulous and your book sounds fabulous as well!!! Thanks for sharing! :)
    I'm not a sweet eater... sweet enough already so they say lol, but I like the sounds of the Broccoli salad and really... just exploring through the whole book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had many comment that they had never read through a cookbook before, until mine. So many stories along with hints in order to make the recipes easier for my daughters. That's why I put the book together but had so many requests for it - decided to just publish it!

      Delete
  14. Please don't enter me in the drawing as I've recently won and I want to give others a chance. This sounds wonderful and going on the to get list. I'm so thankful and blessed by this blog. You continue to introduce me to such wonderful folks. Blessings, Susan Fryman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be a different sort of book to win - a cookbook, to keep going back to and back to and back to!

      Carrie has introduced me to so many through this blog and her Colonial Quills. I find I spend more time here then scanning through Facebook...shhhhhh

      Delete
  15. I am going to make the Old-fashioned Sugar Cream Pie. It sounds wonderful! I have to say, though, that I'm really curious about the Toilet Rolls. I've never heard that one!
    may_dayzee (AT) yahoo(DOT)com
    FFH#1-5

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Sugar Cream Pie is sooo good and rich and good... I wasn't going to make it this year but the morning of Thanksgiving I changed my mind. One of the families coming has a very quiet & shy daughter and she loves this pie - how could I not make it for her?

    You may change your mind ABOUT ME when you hear about the Toilet Rolls... I use our small bathroom as my PROOFING room to let my breads rise. I turn on all the lights, warn my husband that the bathroom is banned for a few hours, and set the pans along the bathroom sink, on the toilet (with the lid down of course!) and cover with towels. So I call this recipe my Toilet Rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so excited about Melody Durant's new cookbook....'Finger Lickin Good Cookbook'.....and can't wait to try the recipe Christmas Cake plus all the other wonderful ones......I collect cookbooks......Merry Christmas and have a wonderful holiday.....babyruthmac16ATyahooDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I forgot to mention that I also shared on facebook and twitter too

      Delete
    2. I'm looking forward to hearing from whoever wins the book! One night I was lying in bed reading it and laughing here & there...my husband asked "why are you laughing, you wrote it?" I told him I was pretending to be someone else and wanted to see if it was still funny and useful! Men....

      Delete
  18. I'm a preacher's wife would love to win thanks for the chance

    ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do folks at church refer to you by name...or do they think your name is...Preacher's Wife?

      Delete
  19. MELODY!!! Your picture is adorable and the little one that I always see does not do you justice, girl!!

    A cookbook that makes you laugh till you cry ... I think I may need that because my cooking makes my family cry till they laugh ... ;)

    SOOOO fun to read more about you, my friend!!

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny...you saying that to me...you're the famous one with the books I love to read!

      My cookbook is kinda my 'fess up' book - I'm one to admit my mistakes if it will make others laugh, whether it's through cooking, being a mom, PW or missionary. Thank you for your encouragement Julie!

      Delete
  20. ABI (APPLE BLOSSOM)!! I had NO idea you were a preacher's wife. Gosh, it's downright amazing how many preacher wives I have as friends, I guess because they all seem to be so fun and crazy!!

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or desparate to GET AWAY from the real world once in awhile, with your books! I'm so thankful our God is a God of mercy cause my ma-in-law says I lack that quality! Off with their head!

      Delete
  21. I would love the loaded mashed potatoes recipe. My family loves mashed potatoes with flavor!!! I would love to win the cookbook. I am collector of cookbooks and books.

    I have read serial numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 on Colonial Quill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Deanna, I was in so much trouble this Thanksgiving over these potatoes! I had tearfully considered (& went through with it) replacing my wonderful loaded potatoes of ham & cheese & lots of garlic & bacon & butter & sour cream for HASH BROWN CASSEROLE. Surely folks would like to try a new versions of an old recipe...NOT. I will never do that again - they all said that's why they choose to come to our little bitty home where you have to sit on the steps to have a place to eat - instead of the big fancy invitations - because of my potatoes! Sheesh...

      Delete

Google Analytics