Pages

02 June 2012

Guest Commentary and Testimony by Lena Nelson Dooley


Lena Nelson Dooley at ACFW Conference with her ribbons.


God is My Fortress and My Strength

While I was writing the last half of Maggie’s Journey, I had a second bout with Atrial Fibrillation. The doctor changed my medication, and it took about six weeks for my body to adjust to the new medications. During that time, I had to depend on the Lord even more for the telling of the story. I’m sure that’s why so many people have been touched by Maggie’s Journey. It even won the 2012 Selah award for historical fiction.

Then I moved on to writing Mary’s Blessing. Toward the end of that book, I had a little heart event, and my husband started having bladder trouble. While we dealt with the health issues, I still had to write the book. I leaned on the Lord even more than I had before. He gave me so much insight into the hearts and minds of the characters. Sometimes, when I went back to edit a chapter, I was amazed at the words.

After James started with the bladder problems, both of my knees started giving me trouble. I’ve had trouble with one of them for several years, but it had been under control. With all the things to deal with for James, I tried to ignore the knees. James had a biopsy and later I had a heart cath. But lots of dear friends prayed for both of us, and we are both just fine with those issues, but I still hadn’t done anything with the knees.

At the same time, I was writing Catherine’s Pursuit. As I leaned even closer to the Lord, He helped me bring the last part of the story of these identical triplets to a very satisfying conclusion.

Now we’ve taken care of the knees with shots in both. Every day they are better. But the best thing is how God has walked with me through all of this, and I’ve learned to walk even closer to Him. 

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful testimony Lena, it's so amazing when we lean on God how much better everything turns out. Can't wait to read Catherine's Pursuit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LENA thank you for sharing this with us. God said He was a very present help in time of trouble, and you certainly needed His help to write the conclusion to these two lovely books. I'm really excited to see how the triplets' story turns out. Praising the Lord that you and your hubby are doing better healthwise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Through our testimonies the Lord helps us overcome life's woes. Thank you, LENA, for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how He helps people through difficulties. Thanks for sharing your experience. He is glorified through your words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. JANICE, that is one of the reasons we have this ministry in our blog. DIANA and I prayed over this before she came on board with me last year and we did so again before TERESA and MARIAN joined us. So glad LENA was willing to encourage us today with her witness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for stopping by, dear friends. I honestly don't understand how so many people face the things in life without the Lord by their side. I know I can face anything because he walks beside me. Sometimes, he carries me. And his amazing blessings brighten my days

    ReplyDelete
  7. definitely making the connxn of the knees and walking with what God was doing in the spiritual
    "how God has walked with me through all of this, and I’ve learned to walk even closer to Him. "
    all about walking.. what's going on in the physical realm reveals to us what God wants to do in the spiritual realm.. we need an increase of our spiritual sensitivity to tune in to the spiritual.
    most often we're tuned in to the physical rather than the spiritual. revelation opens when we reverse that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LENA, I agree. I dk how people can do it. I turned my back on God at one point and was miserable. Thankfully He never turns His back on us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the amazing Testimony.
    Sending many Blessings

    ingrids62448(at0yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. FAITH, HOPE, and CHERRYTEA, I can see the analogy that when Lena's knees wouldn't carry her, God could.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your great testimony, Lena. I don't know how my hubby and I would face life without the L-rd either. He gets us through so much daily.

    Blessings,
    Jo from Southern Arizona

    ReplyDelete
  12. INGRID,I am always so inspired by these testimonies. God is good all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. JO, LENA is an inspiration to me. Has been since I "met" her through ACFW five years ago. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. FAITH, HOPE, and CHERRYTEA, You are this week's WINNER on OTT-WGH per random.org. CONGRATS! You can get that LENA NELSON DOOLEY book that you want!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you have blessed my day!
    delited :) heartfelt Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks to everyone who visited OTT this week, and for your encouraging comments concerning Lena's books. A heartfelt thank you to LENA NELSON DOOLEY, for being with us this week, and may God continue to richly bless the works of your hands!

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics