Pages

15 December 2011

Review of The Merchant's Daughter by Carrie Fancett Pagels


5 stars~ *****
Zondervan (November, 2011)

Make Time for This Timeless Story!


Review by Carrie Fancett Pagels

Based upon The Beauty and The Beast, a young woman's family betrays her resulting in her servitude to the new Lord le Wyse. Her brother promises her in marriage to a much older and wicked man who is unsuitable for Annabel. Despite his physical injuries and unstable disposition, the new lord protects the young woman. 

Betrayed by his wife, his body mangled by an attack by a wolf, the young lord has his own demons he wrestles with. Annabel yearns for the Word.  I cried when I read the beautiful passage by Melanie where this young woman finally gets to read from the Bible herself.  


I read this book all in one day.  I was sick at the time.  I recommend you set time aside to enjoy this story. Beautiful voice, lovely story line, very strong spiritual thread - this has the makings of another Christy nominee (or winner this year!). 


Bibliotherapy: Abandonment, betrayal,death of parent, and trust. 


Bravo Melanie!!!  And I want to mention your wonderful critique partners, too, Debbie Lynne Costello and Linore Rose Burkard, cited in your acknowledgements.  I so enjoyed the opportunity to run around with you gals at the ACFW conference in 2010.  God put you all together for a purpose!   

GIVEAWAY: We are giving a copy of one of Melanie's books, your choice and format, away this week.  Leave your email address with your comment.

22 comments:

  1. Carrie thanks for the intriguing review. Makes me want to hurry and finish all my Christmas chores so I can finish reading this. This is the first time reading one of Melanie's books, she is very talented. Can't wait for more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your review, Carrie!!! And thanks for being such a great friend! You are a joy to know. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TERESA, yes, you have to find time to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MELANIE, God bless you for your perseverance in all your trials. You are an example to all of us. Watching how God has provided for you, e.g., the conference this fall, the Christy nomination, it is HUMBLING to me to see His mercy. Praying hard that your hubby is fully employed in a God-given position soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Carrie, for another lovely review. Melanie, I agree with Carrie, you are an inspiration to us all. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Expecting to hear another great testimony from you soon about hubby's new job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read this book!! I LOVED The Healer's Apprentice!!

    Courtney
    kcmelone at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I will like this story very much!
    I asked The Healer's Apprentice for my birthday, so it would be nice to win this one, so I can read them both next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Courtney! So did I!...and I KNOW you will love this one too! Thanks for entering!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to win this book. Thanks for offering it.
    wsmarple/at/gmail/dot/com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I came back to add to my comment but don't see it. Oh well. The short of it is I really loved The Healer's Apprentice and I'm looking forward to this one. I promise not to wait so long.

    ReplyDelete
  11. MARIAN, if you do a review come back and share. Did your friend order this book for you? Make room in your schedule to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WENDY, we will enter you. DIANA, you are such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. DEBRA, Sorry that your comment did not "take"! Did it maybe go under Diana's? Did you say you do have a copy of this great book already or not. You are on the Sweetie list :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes Carrie, I get The Healer's Apprentice for my birthday. It was ordered and shipped I hear, so I'm looking forward to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay, MARIAN! I know you will enjoy it! And we will celebrate our birthdays the first week of January. Next week is Diana's birthday celebration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've read for review both Healer's Apprentice & Merchant's Daughter. Both are 5 Star IMHO, and a must read for any historical fan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read The Healers Apprentice and look forward to reading The Merchant's Daughter. Thanks for your wonderful writing and please continue to write for our pleasure. I have been reading over 60 yrs and hope to read for many more yrs. Thanks for the opportunity to enter giveaway.

    misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to win the Merchant's Daughter. The premise and themes caught my attention.

    desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally agree BILL - a must read!!! MISS KALLIE, Diana and I agree, too - Melanie must keep writing! LINDA, the premise and themes are so much better in the actual story that you have to read this book whether you win it or not!

    ReplyDelete
  20. SilverBill (oops I almost typed in Silverbell, forgive me, but it is that time of year:)), thank you for your kind words. I'm sure they will encourage Melanie's heart!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love fairy tales and Beauty & the Beast is my favorite one :) I need to get this book!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats to Barbara Shelton for winning a copy of one of Melanie's books!

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics