Pages

27 December 2011

Review - Love Finds You in Annapolis, Maryland



Summerside Press (December 2011)

Roseanna has written a beautiful book.  Her voice is fresh and lovely.  She lends authenticity to the story with her own history of having attended college in historic Annapolis.  Her love for the city is evident in her descriptions.  The story is set during the time Annapolis was the nation’s capital during a short time in 1783-84. Roseanna is a member of Colonial American Christian Writers, a group which I founded, and Roseanna also contributes to Colonial Quills, our group blog.  It was so fun seeing some of the topics we researched together as a group showing up in the book!  That was one of the neatest things about this novel, on a personal level.  We appreciate her acknowledgement of the group, as well! 

The premise for this book is not a typical romance nor even for historical romances.  So if the reader is expecting a cookie cutter romance this is not going to be their book. This is not a “let me settle in for my light romance” read.  Both the hero, Emerson Fielding,  and the heroine, Lark,  are flawed people who have a very significant parting right near the beginning.  This is a Christian fiction and both of these characters have the strongest character arcs I have seen since I can ever remember.  I suspect that is one of the many reasons RT gave this book their top amount of stars and selected it as the December Top Inspirational Pick.  There is profound change in Lark and Emerson, particularly as God leads them to be the persons they were meant to be and not who they had been at home in Virginia.
 
One thing unique about this book is that the life issues of the young woman are portrayed with such authentic emotion as are Lark’s interpretation of her former fiance’s actions. Because Ms. White is still in her twenties, I believe she is well able to capture with a freshness and vivacity and authenticity the angst of this age group.  Granted, Roseanna married young and has little children, but it is clear when reading this book that she offers a unique and fresh author’s voice, and a way of characterization that is more in line with how a young person would indeed react. 

If you are going to read this book, don’t pick it up until you have several nights open in a row.  You will want to know what happens and won’t want to set this one aside and come back to it.

Bibliotherapy: The hero is a RevolutionaryWar of veteran with PTSD.  The heroine has been “acting” out a role rather than displaying who God intended her to be.  She has been dishonest with herself and with others in revealing who and what she is.  Forgiveness and mercy and restoration of relationship are main themes.


Giveaway:  Pick either LFY in Annapolis, Maryland OR either of Roseanna's other two books in e-book format.  Great for those new Kindles people got for Christmas!!!

29 comments:

  1. Great review, thank you. I think Love Finds You In Annapolis, Maryland sounds great, this is the one I would choose.

    wfnren at aol dot com
    wrensthoughts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not the usual happily ever after! A real-life story line. Please enter me.
    desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LINDA, I read on Summerside's guidelines that they want realistic story lines. Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WREN, good to see you! Hey, did you get a Kindle this year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite "Carrie" review ever...love it! LFY in Annapolis, MD. is on my TBR shelf just waiting on me; it gives me something to look forward to! Roseanna is such a wonderful little author!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! Just itching to read this one. :-)

    gwen[dot]gage[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep hearing great things about this one! Think I'll have to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree 100% with that Roseanna does not write "cookie cutter" books and I love that! She's phenomenal in her writing skills. I am looking forward to this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your review Carrie!
    I was so happy to get this book for Christmas!!
    Now I need time to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LFY in Annapolis MD is on my TBR list and would love to have a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the encouraging comments, everyone! I've discovered that even when I try to write cookie cutter, the story decides to grow an extra limb, LOL, so here's hoping lots of people like stories with some more unusual qualities. =)

    Thanks, Carrie, for the awesome review! Waving at all the familiar faces and names!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carrie - I didn't get one for Christmas but I did buy the Kindle Keyboard before we went on vacation in June, then I won a Kindle Touch, and I'm lovin the Touch! I'm still into the print copies and use the Kindle mostly when I'm in the car. I will probably gradually 'convert', lol, but with the print books I can share with my Mother-in-law who is on a fixed income and doesn't buy many extras. She loves getting the boxes of books I send, then she returns them to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great post. I haven't got the chance to read any of Roseanne's books but look forward to the opportunity. I would love to be entered into the drawing. I would love the new book.
    Glenda Parker

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderfully done Carrie, thanks. Can't wait to read it, along with Jewel of Persia, I have on my kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, Gwendolyn, nice to see you! You had better scratch that itch and get you a copy! LOL!

    Melissa, I hope you can get your hands on one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree, Anne, Roseanna's writing is phenomonal!

    I haven't had a chance to read this one either, but it is in my TBR stack, Marian and Maureen! By the way, Maureen did you know you won a book...Coach and Four...I announced it on your FB page!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wfnren, congrats on winning the Kindle Touch; that is just too awesome! I'm sure you were absolutely thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glenda, it's really nice to see you here! After I finally read one of Roseanna's books, I was wondering what in the world took me so long! Here's hoping for a win for you, so you will get that chance!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, Miss Teresa, I absolutely loved Jewel of Persia. It was so deep and beautifully researched! Roseanna is one smart cookie--without the cutter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Still love that, Diana--a smart cookie without the cutter. I'm seriously going to put that on my resume. ;-)

    Teresa, I hope you enjoy the stories!

    Glenda, thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, lovely review :) I have this one sitting on my shelf :)

    crazi.swans at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  22. FAYE, The cover is so gorgeous it makes you want to just look at it instead of getting started on the book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This book sounds so good! Can't wait to read it! I love the cover! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. thanks for the chance to read roseanna's latest masterpiece :)

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  25. GREAT REVIEW, CARRIE -- "not the usual happily ever after"???? Oh boy, oh boy -- sign me up!! Love everything Roseanna writes anyway, but REALLY chomping at the bit for this one, so please enter me!

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  26. LYNNE, welcome, KAREN, how are you? Happy New Year and read this book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. JULIE!!! This is one where you really have to clear your schedule, honey, so when you get ready to read do NOT do it till you have a big stretch of time to read it ALL! Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I keep getting confused on what post I've commented on, LOL.

    Faye, I hope you enjoy it when you get to it!

    Lynne, thanks so much--I absolutely adore the cover, and just learned that the model is a friend of someone at Summerside, which makes it even better!

    Julie, you make me grin. =) I love everything you write too! As you well know. ;-) So glad you stopped by!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Would love to win a copy of one of Roseanna's books. My new Kindle is just waiting to load!
    Thanks Carrie and Roseanna!
    smoore (at) tcq (dot) net

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics