Pages

19 December 2011

Review of An Amish Christmas - December in Lancaster County

An Amish Christmas: December in Lancaster County
An Amish Christmas - December in Lancaster County
by Beth Wiseman, Kathleen Fuller, Barbara Cameron and Kelly Long
(2009 version without Kelly Long's novella, 2010 expanded to include, 2011 audio version)


I listened to this book via a download from http://audible.com. My favorite novella was Kelly Long's Christmas Cradles.  I also enjoyed Beth Wiseman's A Choice to Forgive.  However the other two novellas were thin on characterization and story line and I was quite disappointed in the listen.


The narrator was mediocre at best and mispronounced many words.  The ratings on audible.com are low (3's) because of the two novellas that were lacking and because of the poor narration.  However, two of the stories were strong.  Kelly Long's novella was definitely worth reading on its own.  A strong character, an Amish midwife, Anna Stollis, falls for an equally strong handsome and capable young man, Asa Mast,  as they go about delivering babies one stormy Christmas night.  The hero and heroine are in their late twenties. 


Kelly Marie Long is one of my new favorite authors.  She really knows how to craft believable characters and her romances are the best around. Grab this book and curl up by the fire for a great read as Anna and Asa bring new life into the world while beginning their own lives together!


This book is available in multiple formats through Amazon.


Giveaway:  Hardcover copy of this book to one commenter.  Merry Christmas! 

18 comments:

  1. Just wondering... is it usual for Amish to give birth on Christmas nights? The story about babies being delivered on Christmas night sounds interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sugarpeach, I did not have this post all done before it went live today, sorry about that! I do not know if it is usual or not but it sure makes for a good storyline!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful read.
    I love Christmas stories.
    Please enter me into the drawing.
    Thank you for the chance.
    Wendy
    wdesirees[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the chance to read this christmas story :)

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I almost used a midwife for my son's birth but ended up having a C-section, this story has special appeal to me. It sounds like an unusual and inspirational story. I would like very much to win the copy.

    Blessings, jsmithg@hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. JANICE, it is really good esp. Kelly's romance. I liked Beth Wiseman's story very much, too. The others were just too simple for me but I think if someone wanted an easy uncomplicated read they might be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. KAREN, I am afraid you might get left out of this one because you WON yesterday, did you know? I have your copy of Suzanne Woods Fisher's A Lancaster County Christmas all ready and hope I can get it out in the mail today or tomorrow. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WENDY, me, too, and this was a great download. I prefer to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is too good to miss! 4 authors in one book, authors I've not read before. Please include me. The fact they are about Christmas is great.

    desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm entering a comment for my sis in law who can't enter a comment on here:

    I love Christmas and Amish books...please enter me and thanks so much!

    ~Barbara Smith~
    thatoldgal@gmail.com

    P.S. Barbara and I just agreed together in prayer, Carrie, concerning Johan and Susanne!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LINDA, I will be reviewing more of Kelly Marie Long's books before too long (no pun intended!) I had not read any of the other author's books before, either. I met Beth Wiseman and interviewed her at ACFW in 2010 for the MyBookTherapy ezine and she was delightful. Her novella, included in this book, was very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you BARBARA for your comment and persistence. And thank you for your prayers that my manuscript will get fully read by an editor soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oopsies, I am still having a wekk apparently as it was not Beth Wiseman I interviewed. I did enjoy her speech at the 2011 ACFW conference, though - very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was so blessed to be able to watch the ACFW awards via internet and I cried right along with Beth during her acceptance speech. Such a touching and humble speech by a great author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please enter me....I would love to have this book with all four authors....thanks...jackie_tessnair@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am hooked on Amish fiction! Well...I'm hooked on a lot of genres! I just love to read period!

    Please enter me.

    Blessings and Merry Christmas!

    judyjohn2004[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read this a couple of years ago, but I know they changed the book, and would love to read the new one.


    alekee02[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  18. LINDA, congrats! You are our winner of An Amish Christmas. Check your email.

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics