Pages

03 September 2017

Overcoming Difficulty with Praise by Teresa S. Mathews

I know all of us at some time in our lives have faced difficulties; whether it be sickness, finances, death of a loved one or many other things that can come to mind. You probably all know my situation these past three years and know how hard it has been for me to keep going. I am so glad I can say I have had the Lord taking care of me every step of the way. There are so many things we can do when going through trials; pray, read the Bible, fellowship with friends and family but I think praise should be high on the list.

When terrible things happen it’s so easy to fall on our face before GOD and begin to plead for mercy for our situation, that’s how we have been taught. It’s in our nature to call out for help, which is what our Father wants us to do but the one thing most of us forget to do is Praise Him during the storm.

I was talking to someone a couple weeks ago, trying to encourage them by quoting a scripture we probably all know “I will never leave you, nor forsake you” Hebrews 13:5. Afterward I looked up that verse to reread it and the first part of it hit me like a ton of bricks; “Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have…”

WOW!! I have read that verse over and over and quoted it probably hundreds of times but I never put the whole thing together like I did that day. Let me break that down the way it hit me. I shouldn’t look at others that are having what appears to be the time of their lives and wonder “why can’t I have their easy life?”  Hmm…I’m supposed to be happy with all the problems life has thrown at me?! REALLY???  SERIOUSLY??? Lord, are you sure that’s what you meant?!!

Let’s look at the whole verse; Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.”  KJV

Let’s try the NKJV and see what it says; Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Maybe we should try the NIV; Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”

Isn’t that something? Even with the wording changed around a little bit the meaning is the same; Don’t fret your circumstances, or wish you had a different life, Jesus is right there with you for the endurance! 

Does that come as easy as it sounds? Not always, and that’s why I believe that’s where praise comes in. There are so many encouraging scriptures that back that up but I’ll only share a couple.

Romans 5:3-5 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope: 5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

James 1:2-4 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; 3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. 4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

Going through difficult times is not something anyone likes but we have to trust that GOD is going to work the situation out for good. When we come to terms with that and begin to praise Him it will draw us closer to Him in ways that would not have been possible if we had that “easy life” we craved; take it from someone who knows!

I would love for you to share in the comments some of the scriptures that have helped you in difficult times. I also find music to be a great tool to use to in my praise. I've shared some songs have blessed me through the years.










9 comments:

  1. Teresa, you are absolutely right. God inhabits the praises of his people, and when we praise, God fights on our behalf. I've just come through a storm of my own, and God literally turned my anxiety around when I began to praise and worship and claim His promises. It is so powerful.
    You are such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing from the treasure trove of your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KATHY, you my friend inspire me. I love seeing your name popup in my FB feed, there's always something there to make me smile. :-)

      Of all the things I miss about my sweet Carlton, which there are hundreds, I miss leading Worship with him. When I think that he has actually been in the presence of our LORD JESUS and has worshiped at the Throne of GOD I get excited for the day I will be there too.

      I'm so glad that GOD showed Himself true and faithful and came to your husband's rescue yesterday and this morning! What a Mighty GOD we serve!!

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful post, Teresa - thank you!! I'm so sorry for all you've been through in the last 3 years, but so happy that you've had God to rely on through it all. Through Him, you've been, and are, a continual inspiration and blessings to others.

    He is the source of strength and hope through my trials also - I rest in the knowledge that following His plan is always the best plan, and knowing He will work it all to my good. Trials truly do draw one closer to God, help us reach out to others in need, and create more gratefulness for the blessings He's given us. I'm grateful for each day and the smallest of blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEAREST BONNIE, you've been a great inspiration to me since we first met.I'm so grateful that the LORD allowed us to meet. :-)

      I'm so glad we both have found refuge in Christ while going through life. I cannot imagine how people who don't know him make it, especially when sickness or sorrow comes their way.

      Delete
  3. Greetings from the UK. I fell in love with Jesus. I enjoyed reading.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ANDREW! Isn't it wonderful to know and love Jesus? Thanks for stopping by OWG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an inspiring post Teresa! You are such a blessing to me and so many Teresa.

    Yes, praising God each day, as well as through our trials and challenges, enable me/us to weather the storms of this life. What a comfort to know that HE will never leave us nor forsake us!

    When the storms that come crashing at me as they often do, I like to think of Jesus when He was on the boat and He: “arose and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still…and the wind ceased, and there was a great calm” Mark 4:39 KJV…Jesus is my Peace every time! The storm(s) may still be there but I am at peace.

    The praise music you shared are all perfect. I love each one of those and I also like to listen to some of the “old” hymns as well.

    Psalm 46:1 NIV
    God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

    Psalm 121:1-2 KJV
    I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
    My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.

    Blessings, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teresa, thank you for this timely post! I'm praising my way through Harvey's aftermath. (((((HUGS))))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this inspiring post Teresa,hopefully it will inspire others! Have felt God's presence in times of trouble and am always thankful that God is always with us and are never alone. So sorry for the pain you have gone through,pray that God will surround you with his love.

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics