Pages

26 March 2017

Praying for One -- Bo Chancey Visit by Carrie Fancett Pagels

Rev. Bo Chancey & daughter
Our pastor, Rev. Larry Jones, at Northside Christian, has been doing a church-wide commitment to "Praying for One," an evangelical concept written about by Rev. Bo Chancey in his book of the same name.  What I was really wanting to blog about for some time has been on the notion of reciprocity, and I may still blog on that later, but the thing is -- when you're praying for one and outreaching to the lost, that's when notions of reciprocal treatment are set aside. Yes, I believe that in friendships, in relationships among believers, that something asking you to "do a favor" (and I get these requests all the time as I am sure many of you to, too) yet that same favor-asker never or rarely returns the favor, then they really aren't in relationship with you -- they  are simply abusing your goodwill. And that is not a Love Thy Neighbor moment, is it?

But let's go with the concept of Praying for One, reaching out to the lost. This is evangelism as its simplistic best. Trying to draw the unsaved to the Lord via a relationship that reflects His love. And that means setting aside SELF. Yes, I capitalized it because we can make SELF our GOD.  Another blog post there brewing, about narcissism. In any event, Pastor Chancey spoke with us about the simple message of God. Jesus loves us! Jesus loves you! He wants to meet your needs through His children, which is us. This isn't a reciprocal relationship at all. This is a conduit of God's love, via you, to someone who needs the Lord.

As we were leaving today, I got to greet Rev. Chancey (and his darling daughter!) and I got to share with him the special person God put on my heart to pray for, in my Pray for One, and the difference it has made. Yes, I got a little tearful. I'm so grateful that in this simple "focus upon" a special person who needed to be drawn back to Jesus, that we had results and I pray that continues.

How about you? Do you have people who need to know about God's love? Can you Pray for One?

GIVEAWAY: A copy of Bo Chancey's Pray for One in ebook or paperback (paperback USA only).

Pray for One is available for purchase on Amazon.

19 comments:

  1. Yes, I do have someone I pray for daily. I desperately hope and pray that she will come to know the Lord. I don't think I've ever quite felt the heaviness, or burden if you will, of prayer for anyone as I do this person. It's a daunting task sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless you, Anne, for continuing to pray for this "one" who God has placed on your heart!

      Delete
  2. I know I need to do better at praying for one. I do it occasionally, but I know that isn't good enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That daily praying for one really keeps you focused on the power and beauty of God's love!

      Delete
  3. Praying for one is a beautiful thing. I firmly believe in the power of prayer and can't imagine life without prayer and the belief in God. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that a pastor and his wife made me their "one" to pray for thirty+ years ago! Coming back to the Lord has blessed me so much!

      Delete
  4. Yes I pray for one more than all but I realize I need to focus much more on this very important one. Thanks for your encouragement, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying your "one" draws near and accepts the Lord as Savior, Noela!

      Delete
  5. Oh my yes, there is that *one* I pray for. Thank you sharing Carrie.
    Blessings, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you are diligent, too, Tina, in praying for your "one" to come to salvation! Praying that this person does!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I pray for many.
    JoanEC128[at[AOL[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I pray for peace, individuals and family and friends.
    MarionMPC[at]AOL[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pray for Pope Francis, my friends and family and others.
    MarilynDKC[at]AOL[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carrie, there is one plus, that I pray for daily.
    This was a very good post!
    Thanks for the opportunity to win and good luck to everyone!
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep praying and one day that "one" may join the gold and have a seat in heaven!

      Delete
  11. Carrie, thank you for this uplifting post about praying for one. I have someone special I pray for--really more than one but God knows each one needs Him and how He will reach them in this time. Our church is starting a new ministry that is reaching out to those struggling with issues in their lives and just not addictions. We are seeing mighty results already and we have just started. So thankful, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, is the answer for every issue/addiction anyone has.

    God bless you, Carrie, for sharing and your ministry through your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful, MARILYN, that your church is reaching out to those who are struggling! Jesus can heal! Thanks for your kid words!

      Delete

Google Analytics