Pages

16 October 2016

Interview with Christine A. Henderson


Christine A. Henderson, welcome to Overcoming With God. We appreciate your willingness to share your testimony of overcoming with our readers. 


Would you tell us about one of the most difficult things in your life you have had to overcome, with God's help?

One of the most difficult times in my life was when both my husband and I lost our jobs and my
dad died suddenly. This all occurred within a three week period. For many people, that would be
enough to cause them to go into a deep depression. However, I found peace and comfort during
that time. Now I don’t want you to think I walked around with a halo on my head and was totally
serene. I did have my tears and grief, but I grew closer to God and had no doubt that he was with
me.

I’ve often heard from other committed Christians that they know he is very near in times of crisis. Our senior pastor is Max Lucado and one of his teaching series included learning this prayer… "I’ll get through this. It won’t be painless. It won’t be quick, but God will use this mess for good. I won’t be foolish or naïve, but I won’t despair either. With God’s help, I will get through this."

What passages in the Bible have been most helpful to you in those times?
For me, Psalm 23 and Psalm 91 are words of hope and strength.

What helped you get through or helped you cope with this difficulty?
I like being immersed with Christian Praise music such as Mandisa’s “He is with you” or “Blessings” by Laura Story and “Fall Apart by Josh Wilson. Each of these songs shows me ways to refocus and connect with God.

In addition, we all need a good support group and that comes with having relationships with other Christians who can pray for us and guide us though our difficulties. I had that plus family to see me through tough times.


Question you’d like to ask readers:

How do you share the hope of God’s salvation with others who don’t know Christ as their
Savior?

10 comments:

  1. CHRISTINE, thank you for being with us on OWG! I'm so sorry for your loss and when I lost my mom God came through for me in a mighty way as well. Although of course as human beings we have to go through a time of grieving, He helps us through it in many different ways. Like you I found peace and comfort during that very difficult time. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is so amazing the way he can touch our hearts and heal them.

      Delete
  2. Christine, thank you for sharing your heart with us. I am so sorry about your dad. I go to the Psalms too in times of grief, challenges, joy, encouragement and inspiration.....Psalm 23 and 91 are two of my favorites.
    My dad died in 2007, 3 weeks or so later one of his brother's died suddenly, followed by another brother shortly after and his last brother died a year later. Very difficult time for me/family. God comforted me in so many ways and filled me with His peace through my grieving.
    Blessings, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are not alone in our grieving. Together we can share our sorrows and see hope in the future

      Delete
  3. Because we never know who is in our midst and what they are seeing or experiencing, I always try to give a smile. I hope it helps others. I know it sure helps me.

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Christine for sharing your testimony with everyone here at OWG. We really do appreciate it and I pray your words encourage many. I really like that simple but effective prayer Max Lucado gets people to learn. I believe that having that sort of knowledge and awareness can make all the difference in coping with stress and grief.
    I often share parts of testimonies in sharing God with others and strive to plant seeds where possible. Sometimes I wish I were more fearless. I think sometimes we need to spend more time in God's word. I know I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful you are sharing the hope that God gives us with others.

      Delete
  5. Thank you, Christine for sharing your testimony with us - I'm sorry for your loss and grateful you found peace, comfort, and an increased closeness to God during your times of difficulty.

    I so relate to feeling peace and drawing closer to God in times of difficulty. The last 3 1/2 years have been times of serious health illness for both parents, an aunt, and myself. But I have been able to find peace through it all by trusting God's plan for my life and His promise to work all things to my good. As with you, I keep Christian praise music playing - music has always been a balm for my soul - the contact with and prayers and encouragement from godly online friends are another wonderful blessing. It is truly God who gives me strength during difficult times - I have none of my own, frequent personal prayer and bible study are necessary. As with Noela - I often share parts of my testimonies with others, I haven't always lived for God and have many experiences to draw from. I pray for the salvation of others, and also that my life will be a godly example to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all that is going on in the world now, prayer is essential.

      Delete

Google Analytics