Last week, Bonnie posted on gratitude and how to seek a proper attitude - ever notice grateful attitude and gratitude go together? This week, Bonnie shares about the blessings of maintaining this attitude!
What are the blessings of a spirit of gratitude?
(1) It brings us closer to God. Psalm 22:3 tells us God inhabits the praises of His people.
(2) It helps us realize how He's working in our lives, our attitude is improved, our mind renewed, and we are filled with joy.
(3) It shows God how grateful we are for Who He is - it says we love and worship Him and need His help.
(4) It helps us be able to see a negative thing in a positive way and determine that we can't be defeated because God is on our side. As humans, we drift toward the negative if not controlled by the Holy Spirit - we don't have to "try" to complain, but effort and faith are needed to maintain a thankful attitude. We need to learn to thank God in everything because complaining opens a door for satan. It's not easy to do, easy to forget how blessed we are, and easier to feel sorry for ourselves when things happen that don't seem fair. It's necessary to keep reminding ourselves to trust God and believe He will work it out for our good. He has promised this if we love Him, pray, and want His will (Romans 8:28). Fix your mind on things worthy of praise (Philippians 4:8) - remember and talk about them. Having a good attitude is what glorifies God, maintaining gratefulness is something we need to do on purpose.
(5) Victory comes by being thankful in every situation and believing God is working everything out for our good.
Here are a few of the Bible verses about gratitude - if you need help giving thanks to God. It doesn't come naturally to everyone.
(1) Colossians 3:17
(2) Colossians 3:15
(3) Ephesians 5:20
(4) Ephesians 1:16
(5) Psalms 135:1
(6) Psalms 107:1
(7) Psalms 118:24
I Thessalonians 5:18 - In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
Please leave a comment for an entry in this week's GIVEAWAY!! We're giving away two copies of Suzanne Woods Fisher's latest novel, a colonial Amish story.