Pages

22 February 2015

Kelli Hughett Interview by Carrie Fancett Pagels

Author Kelli Hughett
Kelli, welcome to Overcoming With God. We appreciate your willingness to share your testimony of overcoming with our readers. I sure enjoyed meeting you at ACFW conference a few years back and sharing a dinner table with you!

Would you tell us about the most difficult thing in your life you have had to overcome, with God’s help? Answer: Three years ago, I was seriously injured in a car crash. To date, I've had two spinal fusions and countless therapies and procedures. At the time, I had nine year old, a six year old, and a three year old.  
I’d always been an active person. I enjoyed lifting weights, playing sports, and especially hiking and camping with my family. I think the hardest thing was teaching my kids to crawl into my lap, instead of picking them up. They missed the cuddling. They missed the mom-that-used-to-be.
But God knew what a struggle I would be facing, and in the moment before the other car hit us, I heard His voice. “Everything is going to be okay.” Simple statement. Big results. In the months and years that have followed, I have relied on that perfect promise. No matter the pain, the fear, or the unknown, it’s true. Everything is going to be okay. God has already overcome for me through Christ.
What passages in the Bible have been most helpful to you in those times?
Deuteronomy 31:6 “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
I can overcome anything because of this promise.
Disability friendliness: Is this latest release available in audio format or do you have any other works available on audio? Do your e-books have audio capability? Do you have any in large print?
Not at this time, but Red Zone is in the process of being produced in an audio format.
Red Zone by Kelli Hughett

In this latest work, do you have any topics useful for bibliotherapy, or therapeutic influence through reading about a disorder or situation?
One book that influenced the character development of Marcy in Red Zone is, Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge. In my experience, most women have struggled with overcoming their belief that they aren’t truly beautiful. Captivating changed my own beliefs in my true beauty in Christ.
Question you’d like to ask readers:
What is your favorite part of romantic suspense? The romance or the suspense?

Author bio:
"To fall in Love with God is the greatest Romance; To seek him, the greatest adventure; To find him, the greatest achievement." Augustine
I don't spend my days writing, but I squeeze it in where I can. From my office window, I see barns, the Rocky Mountains, yards of farm fence and wide swathes of green grass surrounded by trees that are just starting to turn this fall. You'd imagine me writing Amish or Prairie Romance, right?!
Many people who know me well have asked me why I chose to write suspense. It is a little out-of-character for me, I suppose. I collect tea cups, read Austen and classics regularly, wear frilly dresses and dote on agricultural landscapes. My favorite book is Anne of Green Gables. So, why suspense?
I guess it taps an unseen part of my personality. What's more exciting than a murder mystery? Suspense is the spice of life, even if we aren't standing over dead bodies all day. It enhances marriages, gives authority to news and announcements, and makes our hearts beat fast. No book, no matter the genre, would be interesting without a little suspense!
And what story is complete without romance?
I hope you'll find my books entertaining without offending your soul. I hope you'll discover the magic of ordinary days and characters in extraordinary circumstances. Maybe you'll find yourself in one of my books. I know you'll find little pieces of me. Visit me at http://kellihughett.com or follow me on social media Twitter: @KelliHughett or Facebook: Kelli Hughett: Author and Speaker.

Giveaway: A copy of Kelli's contemporary suspense!

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for the interview, Kelli. I enjoyed learning a little about you. Would love to read your book!
    bettimace at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed meeting you today.. It would be wonderful to look out at the mountains for inspiration :)
    Would love to read your book..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops.. email.. dkstevensneAToutlookDOt Com

      Delete
    2. Living in Colorado is pretty special! Thanks for reading the interview!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for being with us this week on OWG, KELLI! You favor Barbie Benton when she was first starting in show business, but you may be too young to know who she is. lol It has to be extremely difficult when you are used to being as active as you were, and all of a sudden you can't be. I'm thankful God is helping you to overcome these major obstacles in your life. Thank you for sharing and may God richly bless your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, Thank you for the reference to Barbie Benton! :) You're sweet!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing Kelli. Be strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for introducing us to Kelli. She sounds like an amazing woman and so does her book.

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading about new books. This sounds really good.
    wsmarple/at/gmail/dot/com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to OWG, Kelli, I've enjoyed getting you to know a little about you. Isn't it interesting how we have that little unseen part of our personality? Keeps things interesting, I think. :) Thank you so much for sharing your encouraging testimony and words of faith!
    I'm not into football at all, and know nothing about American football being an Aussie, lol, but I do love the bibliotherapy theme and in answer to your question - My favorite part about Romantic Suspense is the romance. :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noela, thanks for reading the interview! I have TONS of readers who know little to nothing about American football and they all enjoy Red Zone. (For the romance!) The NFL thread just helps me produce a really special hero! God Bless!

      Delete
  8. It's an honor to appear on OWG! Thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really enjoyed reading tis Kelli. Two years ago, I faced a similar back injury, but didn't have little kids. Mine are grown now. But, I understand. One of my most amazing experiences spiritual experiences and a true miracle happened while I was in the MRI. God never abandons us. Look forward to reading your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, I hope you're feeling much better now, especially after your special MRI miracle. (My MRI was pure misery!) God gets all the glory in my story and in yours! God Bless! Enjoy Red Zone!

      Delete
  10. Hi, Kelli!!

    Thank you for sharing your inspiring testimony with us, I appreciate your spiritual attitude and enjoyed learning more about you and your writing. My favorite part of romantic suspense is the romance - neither am I a fan of football, even after watching my son play for 6 years, however - I would enjoy the opportunity to read "Red Zone"!!

    Blessings!!

    Shared post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, Thanks for taking the time to read my interview! I think you'll like Red Zone despite the football thread...Jack Briggs is a hero for us all! The romance is my favorite, too...but one without the other...? I guess that's why I read Romantic Suspense! :) Blessings!

      Delete
  11. Hello Kelli. Sounds like you have had it rough. What would we do without GOD to help us through our trials? I understand. I love babies and have so many great-grands and have bad back and now think my shoulders are even worse so can't hold them like I want to, or lift the. But, I always tell myself it could be much worse. Trying to find a good doctor to see about my shoulders. Soon I hope. Love the sound of your view. Love Colorado. Been there and lived in Wyo. for 6 years, in Jackson Hole. Loved those beautiful Tetons and could see them just anytime. GOD has given us much beauty to enjoy. As to your question. I love them mixed. And, also love them at different times. I love Christian Romance but sure don't mind a little Suspense mixed in. And, vice-versa. Good to meet a new-to-me author.
    Thanks Carrie. I love these OWG girls. My favorite place to visit. GOD bless all of you. Maxie/ mac262(at)me(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kelli, thank you for your interview and encouraging testimony. I hope you are doing well. To answer your question, I guess I like the suspense best, but wouldn't enjoy the book as much without the romance. When I'm reading, I generally alternate and mix up the genres.

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics